Form versus function

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Form versus function

Unread post by slinger »

So you've got a standard-sized amp, and when you open it up there's a 8"x6" PCB, and an unremarkable transformer. Would it sell more units with the block of concrete in the empty space or without? ;)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

slinger wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:12 pm So you've got a standard-sized amp, and when you open it up there's a 8"x6" PCB, and an unremarkable transformer. Would it sell more units with the block of concrete in the empty space or without? ;)
😁 If you put, side by side, one with the block and one without it, I'm pretty sure that the one with the block will sell better. 😁
These users thanked the author Firebug1 for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 pm) • slinger (Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm)
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:39 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:16 pm
It's not really snobbery. It's being competitive.
Every home fest (I detest the phrase "bake off") that I have attended, or hosted, has never been in any way, shape, or form, competitive.

I think any competitive element would spoil the occasion.

Even the Audio - Talk Owston event is deliberately non competitive.

That's fine.

Every bake-off that I've attended has been mildly competitive, from my point of view. *

Just as every time I've played a round of golf has been mildly competitive.

The thing with hi-fi bake-offs is that even though they are mildly competitive I'm still happy when I lose. Just as I'm happy when I lose at golf.

The competition doesn't spoil these activities for me. They enhance it.

Owston is more of a hi-fi event than a bake-off. It becomes competitive when the same tracks are played at the same volume. Which almost never happens at Owston.

* Apart from an AVI bake-off that was highly competitve because of the amount of shit thrown at me in the lead up to the bake-off.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 pm
karatestu wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:56 pm Do you ever wonder how much hifi manufacturers have to face this problem? Well as a start we shouldn't lump all manufacturers in together. It is obvious that most put more emphasis on aesthetics over performance and this is evident from a simple visit to a dealer. I don't have any recent exposure to this as I haven't visited a dealer since 2006 but Clive has and will back up that view.

People do buy with their eyes - and the emotional connection that makes. As a manufacturer, I think that your finished product should match your brand ethos and values. Even the most minimalist, budget design can still be made to be appealing - assuming the viewer prizes the values that you communicate.

An amplifier case has to sit on a shelf. It should please the eye, but it doesn't need to be a tank. The main attraction of bling, to manufacturers, is what it can do for RRP.
If I think it's fugly I wouldn't buy it and that's that. I like minimalism in most walks of life, so Chords steam punk design's are a non starter, ditto Japanese stuff with lots of lights and gauges, no thanks, ditto huge American amps so big you need a mate just to move them around, that's just willy waving nonsense to my way of thinking. Thankfully we are all different and there appears to plenty of really good kit out there to please all tastes.

For me, less is definitely more (of my thing)
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:44 pm) • slinger (Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:32 pm

I used to pass the same Audio T for decades on my walk home from work. Naim equipment would feature prominently in the window along with Rega and Project turn tables. The rest of the geer was mainly Japanese, Rotel, Yamaha and Denon come to mind. I bought a Yamaha CD player and a Denon cassette deck from them in 1986.
Had my hair cut this morning so I had a look. There are two window displays. One is exclusively home cinema with Dali speakers prominent. In the other the 3.5K "paupers" version of the LP12 takes centre stage, surrounded by Innuous equipment. I ventured in the deserted shop to enquire about the availability, or more to the point lack of availability, of the Mojo 2. Faced with a scruff like me the salesman came over a bit high and mighty. :lol:

NB. The 3.5K fruit box does not look any different to the 20K full speck one.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:50 pm

I used to pass the same Audio T for decades on my walk home from work. Naim equipment would feature prominently in the window along with Rega and Project turn tables. The rest of the geer was mainly Japanese, Rotel, Yamaha and Denon come to mind. I bought a Yamaha CD player and a Denon cassette deck from them in 1986.
Had my hair cut this morning so I had a look. There are two window displays. One is exclusively home cinema with Dali speakers prominent. In the other the 3.5K "paupers" version of the LP12 takes centre stage, surrounded by Innuous equipment. I ventured in the deserted shop to enquire about the availability, or more to the point lack of availability, of the Mojo 2. Faced with a scruff like me the salesman came over a bit high and mighty. :lol:

Perhaps, they will take a haircut on that price?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:00 pm
CN211276 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:50 pm

Perhaps, they will take a haircut on that price?
Could do with a scalping. :lol:

I am only in that part of Cardiff to have my hair cut, not very often, and cant recall Linn being on window display before.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc