At Fecking Last!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

At Fecking Last!

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Well, what a week it has been in the land of hi-fi at Shadow Towers.

So after the disaster (for me that is) that was the Owston meet the weekend before last, I've had a massive rethink about the whole bloody hi-fi thing.
My dem was a complete embarrassment. I sat there in a state of panic, so bad I was sure that if I didn't somehow rein things in I would have had a cardiac arrest. My head was pounding, I could hear the blood in my ears, "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.” Not good at my age. My GAD had never been so bad and for what? Fuck it!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've rationalised the system, see below:
NVA+Mission773.jpeg
NVA+Mission773.jpeg (118.69 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Thanks to the incredible generosity of a fellow Audio Talk member, who actually gave me the Mission 773 (1992) speakers in the pic above, free gratis and for nothing, I've haven’t been this happy soundwise for years. The DIY NVA based amp sounds stunning with the Missions.

When I think about it, I've got an old skool system: something that if I'd had back in the day instead of swallowing the Linn/Naim bullshit, I would never have tried valves to soften it up and would not have gone down such a bloody stupid rabbit hole. Yes I’ve learned a lot with the DIY but it has to stop somewhere and it stops right here!

Rant over.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:14 pm) • CycleCoach (Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:28 pm) • slinger (Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:57 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: At Fecking Last!

Unread post by TheMadMick »

What a wonderful outcome. Enjoy.

PS I've been a fan of Mission speakers for years but never managed to bag a set when change time came. Never mind.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I love it when a plan comes together, even if it wasn't the plan you'd planned on planning,...or something.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Aye, funny how things have turned out. There comes a time when enough is enough.

I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder four years ago. This is coupled with chronic depression. I worry about anything and everything, suffer with catastrophic thinking, self esteem dependent on the validation of others. It’s unacceptable and I am not prepared to live like this any longer.

I need stability above all else. My family and a loving wife provide that in spades. A stable hi-fi that gives solace from the music I play on it is also something I need. The escape to the happy place. This system I accidentally ended up with provides that, as does the writing project I’m currently working on.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:30 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 pm Aye, funny how things have turned out. There comes a time when enough is enough.

I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder four years ago. This is coupled with chronic depression. I worry about anything and everything, suffer with catastrophic thinking, self esteem dependent on the validation of others. It’s unacceptable and I am not prepared to live like this any longer.

I need stability above all else. My family and a loving wife provide that in spades. A stable hi-fi that gives solace from the music I play on it is also something I need. The escape to the happy place. This system I accidentally ended up with provides that, as does the writing project I’m currently working on.
Good luck Steve in everything you do. We are so alike you and I. As long as you are enjoying the music then that is all that counts. This hobby attracts people like us and extracts money and mental health. Best avoided. Get yourself a little Bluetooth speaker and forget about this disorder we have and love so much.

It's all about the music, but you knew that already.

All the best, Stu.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

BTW, I have heard great things about those Mission speakers.
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Aye, th emissions are certainly excellent speakers.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:42 am
Good luck Steve in everything you do. We are so alike you and I. As long as you are enjoying the music then that is all that counts. This hobby attracts people like us and extracts money and mental health. Best avoided. Get yourself a little Bluetooth speaker and forget about this disorder we have and love so much.

It's all about the music, but you knew that already.

All the best, Stu.
Cheers Stu,
The doc told me four years ago that GAD is not curable; it can be managed, but not eliminated. Been on a couple of courses organised by the local IAPT services and they are useful, but in the end like everything, it eventually falls to the individual and how much they want to get better.

The depression part (ironically) of the equation is easier to deal with and the courses are designed to try to sort out that aspect of the disorder, which then makes it easier to manage the anxiety by reducing the feelings of powerlessness, hopelessness and being at the mercy of events that drive it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I wouldn't beat yourself up about how your DIY system performs in a room (Owston) that is very different to the one that you built your kit to work in.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:07 pm I wouldn't beat yourself up about how your DIY system performs in a room (Owston) that is very different to the one that you built your kit to work in.
Cheers Paul. In future I’ll go as a spectator. No pressure equals no anxiety. I have to look after my health.