New speaker day!

All general audio posts go here.
jimbob
Great Britain

New speaker day!

Unread post by jimbob »

Yesterday was an exciting day for me as I picked up my new speakers. Having auditioned a pair a few weeks ago at the builders house and being blown away by them, I promptly ordered a pair of Mycetias V2 in driftwood. It was late on last night before I had a chance to set them up so I only had a chance for a quiet session. Absolutely gorgeous sounding speakers at low volumes. Today I'll have the opportunity to give them some beans and can't wait! I also have his 250A Power Amp which I'm already in love with, up until yesterday it was driving the Minstrels and sounded sublime.
These users thanked the author jimbob for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:07 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:04 am)
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: New speaker day!

Unread post by Fretless »

Interesting, look to be solid, no-nonsense designs.

Enjoy! :dance:

These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Latteman (Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:25 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Fretless wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:36 am Interesting, look to be solid, no-nonsense designs.

Enjoy! :dance:

Thanks buddy. Yeah they're definitely no-nonsense which is part of their charm. Nick the man behind Mycetias is an absolute gent and really passionate about music and kit he builds. I should hopefully be bringing the speakers and amp along to future bake off meets.
These users thanked the author jimbob for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:02 am) • savvypaul (Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:07 pm) • slinger (Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:30 pm)
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Are those cabinets made via CNC machinery? Or are they handmade via power tools?
And is that 15mm or 18mm plywood?

https://www.mycetias-audio.co.uk/store/ ... p229363320
The price of £600 per pair seems too low. How can it be worth the time to make them, at that price?
OK they might be very inexpensive drivers. But even so.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:46 pm Are those cabinets made via CNC machinery? Or are they handmade via power tools?

The price of £600 per pair seems too low. How can it be worth the time to make them, at that price?
There are different grades of plywood (I found this out when we made birch-ply Cubes). Basically, the thinner the layers (and the greater number of layers), and the fewer imperfections, the more expensive it gets.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:31 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:46 pm Are those cabinets made via CNC machinery? Or are they handmade via power tools?

As far as I'm aware it's all done with hand tools at his home. Not sure of the cabinet thickness but they feel very rigid with very little vibration. He said he makes very little on each pair and mainly does it because he enjoys the process and enjoys it when customers get pleasure from them. They certainly sound excellent and do more things right for me than any other speakers I've had.
These users thanked the author jimbob for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:57 pm) • Lindsayt (Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:23 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The small size will help the rigidity.

From the photos, that's a top class job he's done of fitting the panels together.
I'm wondering what he'd charge to make bespoke cabinets for the semi-keen DIY'er?

It'd be interesting to compare those Mycetias against the Sevenoaks / Richer Sounds type bookshelf speakers from B&W, KEF etc.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:36 pm The small size will help the rigidity.

From the photos, that's a top class job he's done of fitting the panels together.
I'm wondering what he'd charge to make bespoke cabinets for the semi-keen DIY'er?

It'd be interesting to compare those Mycetias against the Sevenoaks / Richer Sounds type bookshelf speakers from B&W, KEF etc.
Hopefully I'll be bringing them and the 250A amp along to bake off's in the future so more people can hear them
These users thanked the author jimbob for the post:
slinger (Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:48 pm)