UK veto [continued from former forum]

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: UK veto [continued from former forum]

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm

jammy395 wrote:If Scotland win independence...King Alex will of course rebuild Hadrians wall.....!!!!
Quite right too, But he had better leave a gate in it so NVA stuff can get through.............. :lol:
Hadrians Wall was to stop the bare arsed savages coming the other way :lol:

Hadrian BTW was gay according to the BBC the other night, so I would have thought he would have fancied a bit of bare arsed rough in a skirt. :shifty:

(sorry Jammy, couldn't resist it)

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:20 pm

OK....So Hadrian built the wall to keep the Scott's out.

And i can imagine why...... :lol:

scotty.jpg
scotty.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Come on Siro, I was enjoying this conversation, it make a change to be talking about something of real importance.
So how would you feel about an integrated European Army and police force? So what would be the national language of this new country?
Dear Richard, I am a bit 'absent from this forum because in these weeks I am overworked, and by the way next week I will be in Lisbon for the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
With regard to the integration of armed forces, the matter does not seem that difficult. It is no longer the time of the wars of individual countries against each other. Coalitions are in fashion today. Think of what happens in Afganistan, Kosovo or Bosnia. Forces made by Italian, Spanish, German etc are used to work in a closely coordinated way. Probably in this case English forces tend to prefere to remain within the Commonwealth+USA ambit.
With regard to the police, then I believe that they are working in the direction of a strict integration from many years.
The language then is somewhat a paradox condidering that now all of continental Europe has practically adopted English as the "lingua franca".

Ciao, Siro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Well I have spoken to four Italians, including the owners of the hotel and they all want the Lira a back and think the Euro is a disaster for Italy. The owners of the hotel say they are not working for themselves just working for the government.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm

So I think you can begin to see now what I am talking about with our little straw poll. I am far from convinced by the advocacy of being a EU member, but on balance I wish to stay in, BUT as you can see so far I am a minority of one :o

I really believe if there was a referendum now about EU membership we would be out, and I think we would live to regret it.

But you never know, is there room for two Switzerlands. And lets face it, in terms of quality of life they have made a pretty good niche for themselves.

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well I have spoken to four Italians, including the owners of the hotel and they all want the Lira a back and think the Euro is a disaster for Italy. The owners of the hotel say they are not working for themselves just working for the government.
I imagine that your sample of interviewees is not very representative. Surely those who work with foreign exporting goods or services may have an initial advantage of the devaluation, but this is not certain for those who receive the salary fixed in a weak currency. People are terribly ignorant and employers fill their head with bullshit just for their own interest.

Luckily, our leadership (premier Monti and president Napolitano) now is of relatively high quality (better than average in rest of Europe).

Ciao, Siro
Last edited by sc_ita on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am

Well put a straw poll up on one of the Italian forum like we have and lets see the results.

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am

Berlusconi and the populist like so much the pools :think:
I do not think that this is a good way to let emerge the real deep thinking of the people.

Ciao, Siro

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: But you never know, is there room for two Switzerlands. And lets face it, in terms of quality of life they have made a pretty good niche for themselves.

Italy and England have a quite different place in the history of West Nations :think: , do you really think we can hide ourself into a pair of alpine valleys?
Ciao, Siro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 am

I was talking about the UK emulating Switzerland not Italy.

An island is more isolated than a couple of mountains and valleys in central Europe. We have put up a fence before to keep Europe out and we could do it again very easily.

We have a lot in common with Switzerland, we have a very large financial services industry. The City of London Banking sector is far larger than Switzerland, but Switzerland is more profitable because it doesn't play by the rules - AND because of their structure that money does filter down. In the UK it only seems to filter down to wine bars, restaurants and Porsche or Ferrari dealers. Switzerland has a surprisingly large manufacturing base considering the high value of their currency and so the high price of their products. All in all we could do a hell of a lot worse. The pound should be promoted as a secure and "safe haven" currency like the Swiss Franc and the Japanese Yen.

If we leave the EU and joined the old EFTA again with Norway and Switzerland you may well find Sweden and Denmark taking the same course. Ireland should as well but they have been so good at fraudulently ripping off Brussels they will probably stay put.

I am not proposing this but it is becoming a likely scenario.