Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Ali Tait

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Tony Moore wrote:Hi All,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, sorry that I've not said hello sooner. :oops:

I've had a varied hifi path dating back to the 1970s when I was a teenager. Home built speakers, home built amps. Then some really low cost commercial stuff in the very early days including an AMS2000 Mk3! (The less said about _that_ the better :D ) A fairly long absense and then back into it with Ruark speakers and Arcam amps in the 1990s and then the journey over to the dark side in 2002+ with WAD valve amps and IPL speakers and a lengthy diversion into CD replay and DACs. Finally settled with WAD 300B PP amp and a pair of Colin Topps built Frugal Horns sourced by SqueezeBox Receiver feeding into a TDA1541 based DAC via I2S.

I've met a great group of people over the last few years as I found out about WAD amps, attended the regular meetups and generally got a lot more than just good sound out of the whole experience. For the time being I've got other distractions so probably won't be changing my audio system anytime soon but I still like to keep an ear to what's happening and wouldn't mind hanging around here, listening in and if I have anything useful to say, perhaps saying it. :)

Cheers,
Tony
Missed this. Hi Tony, hope you are well.

Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

Hi all,

I have been reading the posts here with a great deal of interest so thought it was about time to say hi.

I was really pleased to see that NVA were still in production. I bought a metal cased AP20 second hand along with a Systemdeck V back in the eighties both of which are working but only the Systemdeck in regular use. The AP20 has had some attention but is now really a back-up. I am now the very proud owner of a P50sa and A60 which I use with Squeezebox touch/Vortexbox running through a pair of B&W 602 S3s. The detail and soundstage are astonishing compared to the NAD kit I was previously using - I really thought I knew some of those recordings :shock:

Cheers

Keith
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Nice one Keith, :P

topalwaysdown

Unread post by topalwaysdown »

Afternoon, I'm Martin and undoubtedly I'll hide in the corner and lurk till I find if I like it here, or if you like me. :snooty: and now to turn up the headbanger tunes whilst I look around.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Afternoon martin and welcome .

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

All the best Tony & Martin & gfk......Join in and enjoy the forum........ :clap: :dance:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Welcome the Engine and thank you for your kind comments on the AOS thread and I'm pleased it worked out. However in the keeping with one of HS unique features, namely factual accuracy it is incumbent upon me to point out that ladies also have genitals :lol:

Ian M

Unread post by Ian M »

New member, longtime lurker. Feel a bit cheeky joining as I now need some help / advice (which I will go into on the NVA page) on a fault that my NVA AP20 has developed.

Have been into hifi for over 25 years and have had many different bits of kit - some good, some bad, some indifferent. I have been reading about NVA for a while and took the plunge after getting a geat deal on an AP20, soundpipe interconnect and LS1 cable. Sold my highly rated by the mags Cyrus 6XPd amp and DAC all in one. Just didn't get on with it. Always felt there was something missing, especially at lower volumes, which, as I now discovered, my NVA excels at. Doesn't seem to lose anything in the way of dynamics or detail at neighbour friendly volumes.

Current equipment is Pro-ject Xpression II turntable, early Anglr Audio phono stage, NVA AP20 amp, Cyrus CD7, Beresford Bushmaster DAC, Acoustic Energy EVO 3 speakers.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Welcome. Be warned that starting on the NVA road can change the way you listen to music. :D
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Ian M wrote: Sold my highly rated by the mags Cyrus 6XPd amp and DAC all in one. Just didn't get on with it. Always felt there was something missing, especially at lower volumes, which, as I now discovered, my NVA excels at. Doesn't seem to lose anything in the way of dynamics or detail at neighbour friendly volumes. .
:text-welcomeconfetti: Ian M

I also use a NVA AP20 and it also impressed me for the same reasons that you found out.I listen at quite low levels so it perfectly suited my needs.

Take it easy ;)