Sound system volume vs distortion

All general audio posts go here.
Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Sound system volume vs distortion

Unread post by Keithh »

I had pleasure to see Orbital at Brixton Acadamy last night and as is fitting for such a gig the volume was on eleven but combined with excellent clarity. Interestingly I am not suffering with the to be expected ringing in my ears. I have noticed this for quite a few gigs whereas when there has been perhaps a lower volume level and a poor quality setup with a degree of distortion/lack of clarity the effect on my ears has been much more severe.

Are there any wise heads that could confirm or otherwise my experiences/suspicions?
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sound system volume vs distortion

Unread post by jammy395 »

Keithh,
It is quite obvious that you are suffering from that rare disease I sometimes call.............. STONED OOT YER SKULL............. :lol:
Cause 9 times out of ten distortion increases with volume increase.
Saw Orbital at Glasgow......Thought it was a great show... :clap: :dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is a common miss belief that loudness creates distortion to the music - not true, loudness creates distortion to the ears. The truth is that distortion creates loudness to the music. Why do you think a 1w portable radio sounds so loud when turned up full - because of the distortion.

This *FACT* caused an enormous kurfuffle between Marco and I when I claimed his amps were distorting because they sounded "loud".

It is fact because I have and I can prove it. Back in Tresham Audio days I produced over 1000w pro-amps and the music wouldn't sound loud until levels where your ears started bleeding, it sounded clean and powerful. Where as a 50w solid state amp will go loud nastily if over driven as it is hard clipping, a 50w valve amp will go loud musically (which is why muso's like them for amplification), the distortion becomes part of the music as it is soft clipping when over driven - BUT both are distortion.

This does not mean I advocate over 1000w hi-fi amps, what I advocate is sensible listening levels, quite often you don't know how loud you are playing your hi-fi until the onset of distortion, but loudness = carry, so often the first you know is when neighbours complain. If I used Tresham amps they would be complaining from the next street.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

WELL I NEVER.... :lol:

So Keithh might not have been STONNED OUT OF HIS SKULL after all.................... :think: :doh:

Sorry man jammy.... :dance:

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

Thanks Doc for the tech that make sense to me.

Jammy, I always find that the odd beverage help loosen the lugs - not essential but definately beneficial. :dance:
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

I don't know if this has any relevance but,I've found that the cleaner (transparent,neutral,detailed ) the sound from equipment is,the less volume I'm inclined to use :think: :?: but on the other hand,if I (we) want to play it at a louder volume it's still less likely to increase the level of my Tinnitus (and I don't mean my "metal arse Doc :lol: )

I've never really understood why "every" time my BIL and I went to audition Hi-Fi equipment they insisted at playing the music and high volumes :music-headbanger: ,just put me right off :x

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

My introduction to this phenomena was listening to a decent hi-fi setup with someone else. I didn't realise how 'loud ' the music was until I tried to talk to my companion. Very different from trying to talk to someone next to you at a disco because then you feel you have to shout. All down to levels of distortion, I presume.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

terrybooth wrote:My introduction to this phenomena was listening to a decent hi-fi setup with someone else. I didn't realise how 'loud ' the music was until I tried to talk to my companion. Very different from trying to talk to someone next to you at a disco because then you feel you have to shout. All down to levels of distortion, I presume.
Spot on, you got it :D

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

terrybooth wrote:My introduction to this phenomena was listening to a decent hi-fi setup with someone else. I didn't realise how 'loud ' the music was until I tried to talk to my companion. Very different from trying to talk to someone next to you at a disco because then you feel you have to shout. All down to levels of distortion, I presume.
Definitely relate the that.