Connecting P50sa - problems...

All things NVA
sc_ita
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Connecting P50sa - problems...

Unread post by sc_ita »

Sometimes it happens that the some internal cables are connected incorrectly. It's nothing serious. With a soldering iron is very easy to fix it. If I were you, instead of wasting time taking pictures and writing on the forum I would have opened the box and I have already fixed. :geek: Clearly, at your own risk :| although in a passive amplifier is virtually itis impossible to do serious damage.

Ciao, SC

fafarskid

Unread post by fafarskid »

All the connections are wrong? I can't believe that. Try any pair. They are all the same excluding Direct and Tape Rec.

andrewM

Unread post by andrewM »

Hi Anesthetise
As the one who sold you the pre-amp - I can confirm it was working last time I used it which was only a couple of weeks ago - I was routing my cd through the direct sockets, left and right and all seemed well, and I have also had it set up using the selectable inputs. I wouldn't have thought that the volume pots on the A80s would matter too much - presumably once its all set up you'd simply leave those turned to max and control the volume via the preamp. I can only surmise that perhaps something has shaken loose in transit otherwise, as a passive preamp, there is no power supply or amplification stage in it to break down as far as I am aware. The problem seems to be the left channel input which is only working via the tape input - perhaps that might give the doc a clue as to what is wrong?
Anyway, if you can't sort it out at your end, the best suggestion I can make is to return it direct to NVA for repair and I'll help pay.

Regards

Andrew
Rega Apollo, Mac Mini, watch this space...., Spendor S5e

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

andrewM wrote:Hi Anesthetise
As the one who sold you the pre-amp - I can confirm it was working last time I used it which was only a couple of weeks ago - I was routing my cd through the direct sockets, left and right and all seemed well, and I have also had it set up using the selectable inputs. I wouldn't have thought that the volume pots on the A80s would matter too much - presumably once its all set up you'd simply leave those turned to max and control the volume via the preamp. I can only surmise that perhaps something has shaken loose in transit otherwise, as a passive preamp, there is no power supply or amplification stage in it to break down as far as I am aware. The problem seems to be the left channel input which is only working via the tape input - perhaps that might give the doc a clue as to what is wrong?
Anyway, if you can't sort it out at your end, the best suggestion I can make is to return it direct to NVA for repair and I'll help pay.

Regards

Andrew
What a gent!!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Of course I don't blame you... Why would you send me a strangely, not exactly broken pre amp (the packaging was very very good, and the box untouched), and you have used it before with no problems :O And thanks for your reply, and about the paythat's very noble of you offering pay help, but I will handle it :)

I have found another connection working - input 4 and 5 together and switch on 'CD'. Also, that connection on the picture above also works with switch on 'CD' (so both CD and Tuner works for that). I did not try to play 2 sources together obviously, as I have no idea what could have happened to amps.

It's clearly about the double volume controls, what else could it be? :O
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Anesthetise wrote:O lol, that is quite... Unexpected :lol: Don't say I have to send back my A80s :x I need a pre amp.

It's a second hand pre amp.
Can't see why you would need to send back your A80s. As Farfarskid points out, if you have a volume control on your DAC and that's the only source, you don't need the pre. However, when you get your Phono 2 you'll need that source switch/attenuator combination.

Looks like you'll need to send the P50sa back to the Doc for rewiring for the selector switch/outlets.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

I don't have a vc in my DAC unfortunately. And my turntable is on it's way now, so I will need source selector :/ It's not wiring problem, as it's wired correctly. It's probably my A80s with vc - I don't need them anymore as with pre they are on max.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

terrybooth
Great Britain

southall-1998 wrote:
andrewM wrote: Andrew
What a gent!!!

S.
+1

terrybooth
Great Britain

Anesthetise wrote:I don't have a vc in my DAC unfortunately. And my turntable is on it's way now, so I will need source selector :/ It's not wiring problem, as it's wired correctly. It's probably my A80s with vc - I don't need them anymore as with pre they are on max.
So I guess that you had the DAC running to the A80s, so you know that works. The direct input using the A80 pots to attenuate will only prove that that wiring is correct. Moving the A80 pots to full just means that they are operating a line level - I can't see why they should be a problem.

You say it's wired correctly. do you mean the pre? Have you had a look inside? Sounds like something isn't quite right.

andrewM

Unread post by andrewM »

Hi

I have emailed you - but just another thought - does it rattle if you give it a (gentle) shake - does it sound as if anything has come adrift inside? (ps the doc doesn't really approve of customers opening the box, but I do know how its done :D )

Andrew
Rega Apollo, Mac Mini, watch this space...., Spendor S5e