A Little NVA Company History

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: A Little NVA Company History

Unread post by zebbo »

Ta, do miss those 5 weeks holiday though! :D
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:The only reason why running a company/working for myself is difficult is because we have so much work on.
We were a pure building company for residential homes, as I saw the recession closing in I spent a year turning the company on it's heals to carry out commercial maintenance work, as all properties need maintenance despite any type of recession. We have a group of clients that rely on us very heavily to carry out all of their maintenance, since this time we have been over run with work.

I must stress there is not a hint of a complaint in the above as I am extremely grateful!
Apart from to the VAT man. :doh:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

zebbo wrote:There's a big difference in being self-employed and running your own business with employees. I'm self-employed, have been for just over 5 years now, after working for employers for 25 years +. I work alone, other than the occasions when I need an extra pair of hands and pull a mate in. My last employment was for the Port of Dover and was secure, 5 weeks holiday, good company pension etc but I used to struggle to get out of bed in the morning. I now work a lot harder and longer, I do earn a bit more but it's mainly just nice to actually enjoy my work and the recognition I get from it. I'm grateful that work has seemed to keep coming in very well and it's very rare that I'm not booked up at least 3 months in advance. I would certainly struggle going back to being employed again.
I just read that again and I don't think I made my point very clearly. What I meant is that having employees is MUCH, MUCH more difficult than being a sole trader, it looks a bit like I meant it the other way around, sorry. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

r100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by r100 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:So the answer is don't borrow, don't create high overheads, re-invest profit until the whole process becomes self sustaining.
Nice to see I'm not the only self-employed man here..

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I've been self employed for 15 years you work a bit harder but you have no boss and if you get clients that are a problem you can say goodbye to them.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

phil66
Austria

Unread post by phil66 »

Could be interresting here - some historic NVA documents 1993 (1994 ?), got them at the Penta Show ...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That was when I could be bothered to try and be professional :shifty:

phil66
Austria

Unread post by phil66 »

Yes , looks like .... you´ve been bit nerved at this show ... as I remember ... :?

phil66
Austria

Unread post by phil66 »

.... but I really loved the presentation ; these huge amps with "a 1/4 inch thick circuit boards" ...... was just a dream at that time ...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

phil66 wrote:Yes , looks like .... you´ve been bit nerved at this show ... as I remember ... :?
What does this mean.