Systems of yesteryear you still remember

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Systems of yesteryear you still remember

Unread post by Andrew »

When I look back over the last 30 years, there are a handful of systems that have really gelled and played music far more convincingly. I'd like to share my recollections but would really like to hear from others about theirs. Ok, here are my faves:

LP12/Ekos/OC9 NVA P50/PSU/ A40 Kans

Naim CDI NAC42/Snaps/250 SBLs

Xerxes Exposure 3/9/Dual 4 SBLs

Townsend Rock Musical Fidelity A1 Townsend Glastonburys

Rega Planet Elicit Elas

Moving house (I've done that far too often) has so often been the undoing of the above kit. Somehow the magic never quite seems to survive the move intact. I'm probably staying put for a while now, so heres's hoping I can crate more magic. OK, now "show me yours" as they say :dance:

Neilardo

Re: Systems of yesteryear you still remember

Unread post by Neilardo »

In the early 90s I had NAD 5440 CD > Aura VA100 amp > Mission 760s. A few years later I upgraded the missions to Quad 11ls in beautiful lacquered yew veneer. I knew several people with systems significantly more expensive that mine but only one that sounded anywhere near as good, and that was largely hand-built by my best mates dad, who was one of those craftsmen who could seemingly turn their hand to anything . I was happy as a pig in shit and then some fucker burgled it when we were living in Manchester :evil:.
Since then I have probably spent about £2.5k trying to replace it, but I'm still nowhere near the level of serenity that system gave me.
This probably says as much about the subjective listening experience as it does about those particular components. Due to the way I lost that system I doubt very much whether, even if I had replaced those component like-for-like (which would have cost alot less :roll: ), I would have the sound I liked.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

You're dead right. Replacing the bits never seems to give the same results. You're also right about cost. It isn't the determining factor in how well a system makes music. Shows aren't the best place to hear kit but I do remember a funny contrast from the old Heathrow Penta show in 1992.

1. They literally locked us in the Mark Levinson/ Martin Logan room to "fully appreciate" a £147k system and within 30 seconds a queue formed (headed by me) to be let out

2. I was sat mesmerised by a Rega 2, Creek 4140 and a tiny pair of Alexander SE2 speakers made of steel with cabinets no bigger than a house brick. I stayed and listened to a whole album and saw both Denis Morecroft and Max Townshend drawn in to listen. They introduced themselves to each other and were both charmed by no more than £500 worth of kit making what I thought was the best sound of the show.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Max Townsend made big speaker from steel, sounded very good but you needed a removal firm to install them. Anyone remember the name, must be something to do with the Arthurian legends, I think all his products were names from it.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Yeah, he did a few. The Glastonburys were the most popular but he also made Sir David and Sir Galahad. There was also a massive one (about ten feet tall, I kid you not) with a stacked ribbon tweeter array. Far too expensive for me and I'd already had a pair of Glastonburys which were sods to move. Huge spiked cone feet gave me a spiked foot.....OUCH! Still got the mark on me foot :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Those were the good old days when designers weren't all trying to make domestically friendly slim floorstanders with "me too" off the shelf drive units.

Nobody would dare to make something equally "cooky" today. Where for instance would you see a square boxed semi-omni made of slabs of acrylic lol.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/ ... mford/9884

good picture of said speakers in real life listening room. They do look ace .

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Great article too. I remember many of the things JB mentions in his journey. Of course he looks a lot older as I guess we all do. Mind you, shifting those monsters around is enough to put years on anybody.

I love the way one of them obscures a door. I thought I was the only one daft enough to put up with that. Mine gets in the way of the kitchen door which might be a good thing considering my waistline these days :doh:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/ ... mford/9884

good picture of said speakers in real life listening room. They do look ace .
Oh yes Bam-Bam, he got well inside Max's pocket. Though Max was / is a real Ozzy salesman with good ideas from lateral thinking. A character and interesting to talk to, not like the bland idiots involved in the industry now.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Bland just about sums up the industry, people and products of today. Pity.