Small narrow, attractive floorstanders

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Small narrow, attractive floorstanders

Unread post by selby »

For my living room I'll need to get some small, narrow(ish) floorstanders that can be place fairly close to the back wall.

I missed out on a friends PMC GB1s so have been keeping an eye out on eBay for other possible options. So far I've found Totem Arro but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm hunting the net for ideas but am struggling to come up with such speakers.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Small narrow, attractive floorstanders

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Royd Minstrels, loads on ebay.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Rega Ela or Royd Apex. If they are local and listed as collection only you'll pay buttons for them. Drivers in both are Royd. Cabs similar in each: Designed by Rega in collaboration. Crossovers different.

Not heard the Apex, but I do love Elas. Personally I think they are better than Minstrels but YMMV.

selby

Unread post by selby »

The missus doesn't like the look of the Minstrels and unfortunalely she's the boss when in comes to what can go in the house.

I was hoping to find some Royd Abbots/apex in oak, as even though bigger she seemed to lke the shape (don't ask)...the PMCs would have been perfect size wise but they seem to consistently be selling for £500+, I'd be more comfortable with £300 ish.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

You could consider the smaller IPL transmission lines.I heard them when i bought mine.I liked them,but ended up getting the next size up as we could fit them in the room.
Only drawback is that you will have to spend the weekend making them.Easy enough thou'just a bottle of wood glue required and a bit of patience. :o :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

selby

Unread post by selby »

My concern with IPLs is getting a good enough finish with the veneer, remember I'm dealing with the speaker police so the things need to look pretty...and in her words "they need to look good and sound good when I play Morrissey"

My Business

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

It goes without saying that as it is " iron on" veneer,it would be her job to do it. :lol: Sounds like she needs some input here,you can then blame her for the crinkly oak finish...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Now, it's very rarely I recommend a dealer but one I do trust (his ears and mine agree on many things) is Peter Empson at Deco Audio in Aylesbury. They do all the Edwards Audio stuff, who build a very small floor-stander for about 400 quid I think. Designed and built in the UK too. :)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

selby wrote:sound good when I play Morrissey"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

The Totem Arros are impressive for their tiny dimensions but generally little more than ok really IMO. I'd second Wallace's suggestion of the smaller IPL's like the S3tlm that I had for quite a while, very pretty and very good performance. The veneering isn't too onerous really but if you did go for it get yourself an old-fashioned, non steam iron as the modern ones just don't get hot enough.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: