Balanced line mains

All things NVA
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balanced line mains

Unread post by Andrew »

Sorry to throw yet anther one in, but a naturally fitting acronym would be "BLiMP"

Balanced LIne Mains Producer (or Purifier).

At least it's memorable :D

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

The problem with short acronyms is that most web-site search engines need four or more letters to perform the search.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ordered everything for them should be making them in May - £490.00 Balanced Line Mains Unit (boring)

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The new active (should really be called self powered passive) Cube, Cubix, Cubix-Pro modular speaker systems will have balanced line mains units built in, and so will the next versions (with price increase) of Statement power amps. Because I will be building these units and get better prices for quantity on the transformers I am thinking to produce the same thing in an external box as a NVA mains power unit to solve all transformer hum and noisy mains problems. It is basically a balanced line unit at 1000va ratings. The benefits (including musical) of these units will vary according to the quality of your mains, but they will have the usual 30 day return on sales, so no risk to try.

Because of the size and weight of the transformers I will use a Statement style box made of 10mm acrylic with four mains sockets fitted on the top to power your hi-fi. These will be optional as to BS1363 (13amp UK square pin) or Schuko (16amp Euro round pin). Built to order as with all NVA. I may make a special order if people want with BS546 (15amp UK round pin).

Price to be finalised but it would be around £500. Name, well it is a balanced line mains supply unit so following the PSU (power supply unit) designation then it should be BLMSU, but that seems daft, or how about MPU (mains power unit) any ideas on a good name from any of you.

Comments welcome, what do you all think.
A clever and quite unique decision. The only other unit that I know that does this is my DAC with balanced mains built in.

I was very surprised with the significant increase in dynamics and naturalness at low volumes when I got a BPS for my entire system (of course can't A/B the DAC), which I could only think was down to lower noise floor.

For a "box" feeding a system though you might want to go up to 2kVA? Or maybe I've just been too cautious?

Also I have an MCB on the input and an RCBO on the output, which is only because of reading various threads and taking some advice from high power engineers. Don't know if it's actually safer, but even unconventional fault conditions should be handled.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't need them, class 2 regs again - acrylic case, no voltage can ever get out unless you smash the case. I think it will be an advantage as those things add line impedance.

BTW I need the P90 back as my time for reclaiming fees is running out.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Six boxes arrive Friday. After building one for me, one going to Gromit to see if it solves his distortion problem.

Nerica19, do you still want one.

selby

Unread post by selby »

This to me sounds like a product that will sell extremely well.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

I would be interested in one - better than :scared-shocked: if I tried to put a spur in.

What size is the box?
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Forgotten, I will measure it Friday.

terrybooth