The Lawnmower thread

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Lawnmower thread

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I like Brittany.

La Creuse is nice as well.

Oldpinkman
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

CageyH-FX1200 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: For a not much more than 150 grand you can get a detached house on a few acres in France.
True, you can, but it all depends on where you live. Toulouse isn't cheap, but it's no way near as expensive as Paris.
But toulouse must surely hold the world record for the city with the most dog shit on it's pavements. Does that affect prices? :think:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

Oh, there are worse than Toulouse.
Things have improved recently, but that's another reason I don't live in the city.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Well, I'm now a self professed Guru on belt drives now :roll: :ugeek:

I needed to mow the back lawn so out came the little eighteen year old Flymo Turbo ( :P ) 300.. Bloody motor spinning like crazy and no mowing action. I'd never dismantled it so to save a hundred quid on a new one, I thought I'd have a go. I'd never given much thought to how these things work, but of course, you have a powerful brushed motor, which drives the blade/'hover' assembly via a wide grooved belt, which had come off. Reminded me of a pink Triangle turntable and the bits of cotton to help loop the belt around the motor pulley without the thing falling off :lol: Loads of old grass sh*t around the motor too, so better it had a clear-out when it did.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

CageyH-FX1200

Can anybody recommend some good geometry settings for a mower?
I have just replaced a steering arm joint. and whilst I am wielding spanners, I may as well tweak the geometry. :P

Oldpinkman

I really should sharpen the blades more often. The lawn looks so much better for being cut rather than bludgeoned into submission :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yes its important to keep the blades sharp - you will cut the lawn in half the time if yer blades are sharp.
As you say Pinky much better if the lawn looks cut rather than plucked.
Get a good file, and sharpen at the end of every cutting season - in prep for the next.
:guiness;

Oldpinkman

Trouble is there are 3 of them, on a deck weighing over 60kg, which sustain industrial scale wear from some semi-rough cutting in the paddocks. I have to take an angle grinder to them before I can even think about a file. But very satisfying once done :grin:

CageyH-FX1200

I sharpen my blades once a year, if they need it or not. :shock:
In one part of my garden, I let the grass grow longer, and often I don't see the mole hills.
Stones are not good for sharp blades.

This is where "le detaupeur" comes in to play.

Mole mine - Le Detaupeur

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Brilliant Cagey :clap: same kind of effect as a 12 bore shotgun......Love it.
Mole's can be bloody devastating.