Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Macca »

They are a big loudspeaker - does your mrs realise? :grin: Going to be a very different presentation from your PT Ventricles, that's for sure.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

jammy395 wrote:I sold the Lowther drivers and put in some Audax 8 inch full range efforts from Maplin and I have to say that was a serious upgrade to my ears. (Macca).

And i thought the bumff told us Lowther produce some of the finest FRD's on the planet - obviously not. :whistle:
The drivers were PM6a but they were quite old when I got them (about 1993) although they were not damaged or obviously deteriorated. Possibly if I could have got them set up properly in a good room and played some classical music they might have sounded awesome. But the cabs were the Acousta which is the simplest cab for Lowthers and seems to be regarded as the worst. With the Audax drivers in I could listen to Deep Purple again - it was like a PA system - with 103db driver with 40W power handling, no crossover in a horn loaded cab the size of a 'fridge! Very high SPL with a low power amp just idling. In fact I did sell them to a bloke who used them as a PA all over the country for quite a while after

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

There's a lot of comments if you google about people preferring other drivers. But one of the big issues is Lowther drivers have a 500 hour run in period (2 months according to Lowther - I'm gonna have to leave them on with the telly to get that sort of run-in)
A lot of serious speaker manufacturers, who presumably have the chance to compare pick Lowther drivers. They have a big range. They have been in business for over 50 years, and are still thriving. They are doing something right

If i try Lowther drivers it will be copper coil EX3's. To say "I've tried Lowther drivers" is a bit like saying "I've tried a Technics record player" - which one??? The old PM6A's have been significantly improved on.

But I'll give em a good listen on the existing drivers first, and may yet decide to dump them and sell on. Its a long long time ago I heard that pair playing DSOM - 2 days after it was released actually!

And that pair were Acousta 124's not Fidelios :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Oldpinkman

Macca wrote:They are a big loudspeaker - does your mrs realise? :grin: Going to be a very different presentation from your PT Ventricles, that's for sure.
We've crossed in the post. The Fidelio is quite twee - the height and depth of the Ventrical, and about the width of the Kef R900's we had in the living room recently. And I showed her the Beauhorns - and I have just let her paint a kitchen pink under the pretence the colour is "roman stone". :grin:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

Is your kitchen an odd shape? Kind of triangular?
Why pink? Neutral tones if you are looking at selling soon...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Oldpinkman wrote: A lot of serious speaker manufacturers, who presumably have the chance to compare pick Lowther drivers. :guiness;
I don't mean to be a total pr@t, but who are these manufacturers exactly and can you buy their products in Hifi shops?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm not a total a*se - have a look at this -

http://www.decware.com/paper30.htm
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Oldpinkman

Oldpinkman

The kitchen is symbolic. It is the last room with decor left from a previous girlfriend. The pink wasn't meant to be pink. It was meant to pick out the colour of the stone in a mediteranean painting we have in the kitchen. The mediteranean stone is pink.
The paint on our walls is called "Roman stone" by Dulux. Roman stone is that well known shade produced by mixing white and red.

Sue said to me "well it's better than yellow". This is true - but you need to understand the meaning of "yellow". "Yellow is not a chromatic shade such as you find on daffodils, primroses, or lemons. Yellow is the colour that other woman painted the kitchen. As such, smeared with dog faeces would be better than yellow.

It's won me lots of brownie points. Its not just the pink paint, but the new worktops, hob, enamel sink, splashback tiles, and the "hideous" cupboards, I have got away with not replacing by having them hand painted by a decorator client who owes me for his accounts.

To be fair, it was 20 years old and looking tired, and it may not add value to the house, but it will sure sell quicker. And she's happy. And I have my new horns :grin: :grin: :guiness;

Oldpinkman

Phew. At the last minute some kind soul nipped in and bid £400 on the beauhorn :guiness;