Hifi sabbatical

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hifi sabbatical

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm thinking if giving up hifi entirely and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and for how long. Also, did anyone miss it?

I'm feeling like I did in the 90s when I gave up hifi altogether. From about 1995 (IIRC) my system was rarely wired up, despite having bits lying around.

A friend then wanted most of it but didn't have the money. I told him to just take the lot and pay me "whenever". About a year later he insisted on repaying me because he felt guilty about the time that had elapsed. He'd sold it and bought other bits several times over by then. I wasn't particularly flush, but just didn't really care or give it a second thought in terms of the money or the hifi.

I stayed away from hifi until about 2003-4 until I picked up some low cost bits at cash Converters and an amp for £8 at a boot sale.

Lately, I have a feeling of déjà vu. I just see the bits lying around and especially the cables, as clutter. Having it around makes me feel burdened, just like before. It's not the sound, because I'm spoiled for choice of great sounding bits. I'm seriously thinking of dumping the lot on my mates and doing what I did last time. I can always buy more later on if I miss it.

Any thoughts?

Neilardo

Re: Hifi sabbatical

Unread post by Neilardo »

keep the cubes.
My thoughts; wouldn't miss hifi. Probably spend most time listening to music in the car. Hifi is for QT, pretty rare at the mo'.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I put my PT in a box and sold my mission 753 speakers and various amps . It remained in that box for 13 years whilst I lived a rock and roll lifestyle . During this time I didn't own a hifi of any sort . :dance:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Yes, keep those cubes Andrew!

I've owned some very interesting speakers in the past. They were not refined sounding but ferking musical as hell. Yup, I deeply still regret selling those speakers!

Will never make that same mistake when I sold my 1st Exposure X. Again, not the most refined sounding of amps but god damn musical and punchy to my ears!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I couldn't bear to be without my music, it's as simple as that.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

I'm sort of on sabbatical even now. By volume, I listen to far more music in the car, at the gym, or on the minor systems in the house (particularly kitchen). It's not so much wires and tat that bother me, I (try to) follow Jammy's example on wires, once it is set up. It's all the fiddling interferes with just enjoying the music. And I get grumpy when things go wrong (thinking of a recurring hum wind-up on the AV particularly here)

So I'm looking forward to just getting back to using - not tinkering. Which means everything working like it should (and, touch wood, currently does)

But yes - went about 15 years probably without playing records the way I used to , and to an extent, now do.

I have this "ratchet" idea. I am not looking for the best. I would very much NOT like to hear it. I want to avoid hearing anything that is better and, better enough to matter, because I am just left feeling unsatisfied with what I've got once I've heard it. Ratchet components, are ones, which once you have heard them, you are never quite satisfied with anything else, and you just keep being unsatisfied till you shell out and buy the bloody thing.

It's only because bits started to fail terminally on my old faithfull system that I am buggering about trying to get back to an equilibrium now. Then I want to pack up and leave well alone for the next 15 years :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Andrew wrote:I'm thinking if giving up hifi entirely and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and for how long. Also, did anyone miss it?

I'm feeling like I did in the 90s when I gave up hifi altogether. From about 1995 (IIRC) my system was rarely wired up, despite having bits lying around.

A friend then wanted most of it but didn't have the money. I told him to just take the lot and pay me "whenever". About a year later he insisted on repaying me because he felt guilty about the time that had elapsed. He'd sold it and bought other bits several times over by then. I wasn't particularly flush, but just didn't really care or give it a second thought in terms of the money or the hifi.

I stayed away from hifi until about 2003-4 until I picked up some low cost bits at cash Converters and an amp for £8 at a boot sale.

Lately, I have a feeling of déjà vu. I just see the bits lying around and especially the cables, as clutter. Having it around makes me feel burdened, just like before. It's not the sound, because I'm spoiled for choice of great sounding bits. I'm seriously thinking of dumping the lot on my mates and doing what I did last time. I can always buy more later on if I miss it.

Any thoughts?
yes you are mad!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It seems you need to discipline yourself, keep what is best and sell what is not, don't be a hoarder.

I have some hoarder tendencies but I have limited it now to tonearms and carts, I can't resist a bargain so always buy them. Then one day I look at them and say "I am not likely to use these" and sell them and always make a profit - then I start buying them again.

The latest bargain - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331219736219? ... 1439.l2649

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I'm keeping my little JPW speakers.

I'm going to get some ML-110's and try them with my AP10PX & CD-101. This is the same as the docs ''test'' set up :) I have a spare room here which gives me a chance to mess around with hifi!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I think I can probably have a bit of a break whilst keeping only the odd irreplaceable item boxed up. If I miss it, I can always get going again without any hassles, even if it's years down the line.

My Cubes will definitely stay. Chances of getting another pair aren't worth contemplating. CDs and vinyl are keepers too. I've learned from past experience that it's not smart to get rid of the music, although I might thin it out a bit.

It was interesting to hear others have been down this road too, especially DQ's 13 year sabbatical.