Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Oldpinkman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Owen has picked up the Lowthers. Allegedly that Walnut finish I am planning to sand and spray black, is a very fine piece of wood. He has installed them, and pointed out that I will probably be listening in class A from now on. Barely 3w rms needed to drive them loud.

Apparantly his Bongo (sort of Japanese VW combi camper thing) did wheelies all the way home from Norfolk with them. They are substantial bits of kit! And the vendor claims the Audio Nirvana drivers fitted were $1100 a pair, so not a poor mans alternative. That's going to make the driver choice experimentation a costly one. If only they did loan drivers...

Roll on the 21st June... :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

the spray black is a joke to give gus palpatations , right ?

Oldpinkman

Well, its certainly good sport for that. I don't want Walnut! I was going to build bland mdf, probably cover with the cheapest veneer, since spraying mdf is naff, and spray that black. Gus' estimate for having the cabinets built, unfinished, was £2000. So, although its a pity to damage that lovely walnut, its a bloody sight cheaper this way than using "virgin" mdf.

Owen suggested having a "sock" made, but I can see that ending up costing as much as the bloody cabinets, since it would need to be a snug fit and felt lined. I'll wait to see if they are keepers before performing any acts of vandalism to get the final finish. I might have left them Afromosia, or another light wood, but Walnut really is not us. Mind - we'd be at home in France, where they seem to go in for these dark heavy interiors. :roll:

I hae me doots about whether they'll stay - but lets not rush to prejudge. :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Oldpinkman

Finally managed to get my hands on Arthurs virgin

dynavectorDV-XX2MkII of course

And a headshell for Cagey :grin:

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

:grin:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Owen has picked up the Lowthers. (Pinky)

Well I hope poor Owen pull's through ok - It can be quite nasty a dose of the Lowthers............ :laughing-rolling: :auto-ambulance:

Oldpinkman

Oh Jammy - you've ruined my continuity. Bastard. Er yes - feeling a bit guilty given the listen I've just been having with Arthur's virgin. I've a feeling I wouldnt have bothered buying them or making the poor lad wreck the suspension on his "Bongo" collecting them for me. Never mind - I'll administer a medicinal red wine and I'm sure he'll pull through. If not, I think you can get the lowthers treated on the NHS these days :pray:

Oldpinkman

Back to Arthurs virgin (only 8 hours in the sack allegedly - 5 of them with me)

Oh dear

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Dear Santa...

Oldpinkman

Oh golly, and I've just won an Ortofon MC25FL on fleabay based on comments seen on AOS regarding its performance against the Zyx cartridges I was also interested in. Give it a listen I suppose when it arrives - if its not shagged.

Nice to have the virgin here to reference against though. I live in hope, but I find it hard to imagine it will have me tearing up my letter to Santa Claus.

We'll see :guiness;

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Oldpinkman wrote:Oh golly, and I've just won an Ortofon MC25FL on fleabay based on comments seen on AOS regarding its performance against the Zyx cartridges I was also interested in. Give it a listen I suppose when it arrives - if its not shagged.

Nice to have the virgin here to reference against though. I live in hope, but I find it hard to imagine it will have me tearing up my letter to Santa Claus.

We'll see :guiness;
I used an Ortofon MC25FL for some years and still have it in my spares draw. I'd be gobsmacked if it beat a ZYX as had several better cartridges (all cheaper than ZYX range) since. I would have got it back out just to see but having a fixed headshell can't be assed. It likely betters some of the cartridges beloved on AOS but ZYX I doubt. It might be worth getting it re-tipped with a superior diamond by Northwest Analogue though.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)