Lord, I hate that sound

All music posts here please.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Lord, I hate that sound

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'm not normally religious, but I appear to suffer an apotheosis every time I heard that horrible, mashed up vocal which every other current record currently has. This seems to come in two guises: the speeded up vocal, usually on so-called R&B (WTF!) tracks and the sound of a lunatic at the controls of autotune. The former, sound be confined to memory of Pinky and Perky in the 1960s, the latter I've just had a blast of on a visit to the supermarket.

Why do they do this (other than the apparent inability of the singer to hold a tune)? It sounds like the voice has been strained through a stylophone and makes every other singer sound like the bastard child of a Dalek and the aforsaid porcine twins.

No wait, I've got it. It must be subliminal advertising for that insurance comparison site advertised by that stupid robot thingy on telly.

For crying out loud, there's even autotune for guitar.. And I thought that it was only bass players who didn't know how to tune their instrument. Hendrix didn't need that. He could knock his tuning head and carry on playing despite the fact that he'd just knocked one string 5/8th of a tone out of tune!

Begone all that zingy-shwingy-zizzy sound that pervades so much modern music.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Lord, I hate that sound

Unread post by slinger »

+1

Excellent rant Terry! :angry-screaming:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

+2
I'd rather listen to the squeak in Oscar Peterson's piano stool.. :roll:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Them were the days when groups recorded singles in a studio, playing their own instruments and in the glam days, probably having a whale of a time as they did so... I HATE Autotune with a passion, and it makes a mockery of the likes of X Factor, which is supposed to judge singing quality and pitch, when the acts able to get recording contracts all end up being Autotuned anyway!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...