Colin Wonfor

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Are you in Sarfend now.

Seriously though Colin if you want any pointers on how to deal direct with the minimum of effort and external finance I will help, as long as I have nothing to do with those shits at Chews.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Thanks Richard.

Near S.O.S. with family or friends lost home and wife via TQ help. :evil:
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Another thought is that Ruark are in Sarfend and you always had a good relationship with the old man, and the son is a nice bloke. Though that would be another tie up that involves retailers.

My advice. Initially get the SECAs up as kits, promote them on the forums and list them at ebay. Go the ebay route as the money is up front so the business becomes self financing. All you need to do is count out components and pack them in a box with instructions, so not too much stress on the heart. Grow it by creating your own website but keep to ebay even if there are costs involved, they are minor compared with retailers. Over time as product range and awareness grows you can sell direct from the website and if you want to take on the extra work then maybe finished tested product. For expansion Paypal now do a working capital scheme based on about 10% of your turnover which looks a good deal and is simple because it is run within your Paypal account https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/workingcapital/ between this to finance expansion and being payed in advance for current sales a company can be started and grown quite easily with little to no risk.

I am biased but this is the way I would go.

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

Nice to see Colin posting here and hopefully sharing his knowledge.

I must fess up to owning some TQ cables, blue. I bought them at around half the rrp second hand. A purely impulse buy. I really liked it with my Rega kit, much better than that vandamme stuff people like.

For me it was way overpriced new and the black was outrageously costly I thought. I'd like to try it with my nva amps and given I've got both the designers of the amps and the cables in one spot what do you say?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There were users of NVA amps with TQ cables, all members at Chews. They have all now sold their NVA amps for Colins ones, so in there lies a tale, which doesn't take much intelligence to work out.

I refuse to endorse their usage as they refuse to publish any truth about the cable (AFAIK not Colins fault) but none of those NVA amps blew up. I am sorry but that is all the advice I can give apart from to re-iterate NVA amps used with anything other than NVA cables invalidates the warranty. This is purely because cable sellers either tell lies or don't know what the truth is, so I am unwilling to take the responsibility. Since I stipulated this my new amp failure rate has gone down over 50% which has proved my decision to be right.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Fairy muff.

I've never been on that forum so don't know much about their tastes there.

Can't argue that there's some serious sh**e gets spoken about cables, mostly by their sellers and it figures that nva cables are best with nva amps. I found the same with Rega. I'll get some LS1 soon so you'll have that LS2 stuff heading back your way.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

May I repeat that NVA speaker cables work just fine with NON-NVA amps and IMO, the value is very high.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But that is a by the way! the cables were chosen or designed electrically for use with NVA amps which are a little idiosyncratic regarding cable as they are conditionally stable with set capacitance and inductance parameters. Then adjusted and changed still within the electrical rules to match sonically. What they do with other amps is by the way and not relevant to NVA, apart from it gives additional sales to me. The cables were developed to show off NVA amps to their best, if they do the same for other amps then all well and good but NO other amp was used in the development process apart from NVA.

Dave Cawley

Unread post by Dave Cawley »

Hi Colin

Disappointed that you never replied to me earlier. I am a manufacturer and sell some products through dealers and some direct.

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I missed your thread, but I am not at a permanent home so I have to borrow time on my friend's PC. And he can only let me play when he is not working so Thursday was good he went out and I PS Sat for the day.
Secondly I missed that posting (getting old) so try again please.

Col
It can be done so imagine it.