GENERAL ELECTION JUNE 8TH 2017

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: GENERAL ELECTION JUNE 8TH 2017

Unread post by Fretless »

CN211276 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It is basically a second referendum, and she may well be making more problems than now. If the Lib Dems score high then the EU supporter in both parties will vote with them in the house to bring the whole Brexit process down.
I think there is a strong possibility of this. The majority of conservative and Labour MPs were remain before the referendum. They can say that the result of this election showed that, in the cold light of day, the public were misled when voting to leave.
Which raises the question of whether the whole process since the referendum has been carefully planned to eventually reverse the 'leave' decision - with the willing support of the UK electorate ?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

alfafan123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfafan123 »

'ere we go again :lol: ...May said no election until 2020 and now calls for an election on the 8Th June. She sat on the fence during the Referendum (technically she was a Cameron camp Remainer although didn't campaign for staying in) and now she says no turning back from exiting the EU.

Methinks she is an political opportunist.

I wish I believed the Leave vote could be reversed in the General Election but I doubt it.

At the very least it would give her the chance to have a re-suffle and change some of her very poor Cabinet appointments ...Boris Johnson comes to mind!

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Boris was deliberately appointed to destroy the credibility of any Brexit deal.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Brexit WILL happen unless the EU suddenly gets some common senses and changes towards us. This will be a referendum on hard or soft Brexit. Soft Brexit will be we are still members but not in name, we will just remove ourselves from even more of the daftness, including putting expensive eeeediots in that pretend Parliament.

Basically we will be the last member of the EEC (that is what I voted to join back in the early 70s) and feck the EU.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

One thing is certain: I'll be pulling another all-nighter. For those interested in these things (as an Economics & Politics graduate I have a natural tendency to lap this sort of thing up), http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html can offer hours of entertainment.

My reading, FWIW, is that the LibDems will gain some current Conservative seats, especially in those constituencies with Remain majorities. Current Conservative/Labour marginals held by the Conservatives will generally be Conservative holds with remainers from both camps switching to the LibDems. In current Labour/Conservative marginals held by Labour, there will probably be a swing to the Conservatives based on recent polling resulting in about 40 to 50 seats switching from Labour to the Conservatives (also helped by Labour remainers switching to the LibDems in greater numbers than Conservative remainers switching. I see very few Conservative voters switching to Labour. SNP largely to hold Scotland but the Conservatives may pick up one or two seats. As usual it will be Labour/Conservative marginals where the election will be won or lost, but with additional LibDem/Conservative and Labour/LibDem (not many of these) marginals to add flavour to the pot.

The LibDems will not replace Labour as HM Official Opposition any time soon despite the Corbyn factor.

Summary Prediction: CON 380; LAB 160; LIBDEM 25; SNP 55; OTHERS 30 - Conservative Majority 110. Not quite what Mrs T. managed in 1983 but good enough for the Conservatives this time round.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Labour are now Turkeys voting for Xmas I think. I do fear that there is an element of unpredictability here as boundary changes are not until 2018 and Anti Brexit moaners could muddy the waters. I do think that anyone thinking that Labour or Liberals wouldn't destroy the country are on another planet, which might be a good reason for the Tories getting more votes. That is in spite of the cuts which are a result of the 2008 crash. Which means there really isn't enough money. If only we had a govt that actually applied genuine austerity like Ireland or Greece 8 years ago the problem would be closer to being sorted.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

When one looks at public sector borrowing around the time of the 2008 crash, it was already beginning to get out of control and was funded on the assumption of continued economic growth. The crash just happened to make things worse and disguised the fundamental weaknesses already existing in the public finances. Real terms public spending (2015-2016 prices) rose from 502 billion in 1999-2000 to 704 billion in 2007-8 i.e. a 40% increase BEFORE the crash. Public spending has fallen by a mere 20 billion IN REAL TERMS since 2010. I do not call this REAL austerity. What we have had is continued misallocation of public funds compounded by continued waste and inefficiency in public services (and that includes the NHS).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Labour and Lib Dems could form a tactical alliance to put one 'not a Tory' candidate up in each seat. They could...but they won't.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is a cross party problem, and will show on the vote on the Brexit terms. Both Labour and Conservative remainers have enough votes in conjunction with Lib Dem and SNP to ensure we stay in the EEC and get out of the EU. That will mean still open borders to EU members but there can be terms built into this with benefit restrictions as most other EU countries do, which will keep Romanian and Bulgarian Gypsies and other shit away, and let the genuine Poles and Czechs, Slovaks, Hungars come and increase our wealth and diversity, and welcome to them. Hopefully at the expense of more Muslims. Our borders should be rigidly closed to the hoards of African trying to invade Europe like a plague.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote:O dear , Corbyn as said labour will back a call for general election . He must know something I don't
He's not going to say he doesn't want a June election, is he? As what sort of message would that send out?