LS1 vs LS5

All things NVA
Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LS1 vs LS5

Unread post by Ninanina »

How can i explain it...

A bit booming, one note... does that make any sense, if not i will try to conjure up some other words

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I sure it will open up for you, it should have quite articulate bottom :oops:
As Terry says it may take a while

Ninanina

wow an articulate bottom.... my mind boggles !! i think i'd like one of those. I am a girly you know :character-ariel:

Well the AP30 is a used item so i guess it should have already been well run in. Everything else seems just fine to me but the bass is just maybe different than i am used to but i am hoping that the LS5 will change it a bit

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Amps don't do that, cable can, but speakers and room acoustics are the most likely problem.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Amps don't do that, cable can, but speakers and room acoustics are the most likely problem.
I'd agree with the Doc. What speakers are you using?

I think I can sympathise: I've often been surprised by strange sounds in the music until I realise (rationalise?) that I'm hearing the instrument -the pedals or dampers on a piano, for instance - or the creaking of a seat as a musician moves. I've also found that I prefer one (cheaper) set of speakers I own to another.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Ninanina

I'm using probably one of Docs least favorite speakers; Ls 3/5a's

Trouble is they have been with me for a long time and i am loathed to give them up

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Speakers are very much personal taste, even bad ones :P :lol:

Ninanina

I know. I liked the LS 3/5a the first time i heard them

I have had many, many other speakers including Lowthers, Klipsch etc etc. I think the best i have ever heard was a pair of Audionote ANE's, but that was part of a £22k system i once had in my front room....i got cold feet and decided not to go ahead with the purchase.... :pray: NO i am not rich..... just in case anyone got any funny ideas...

Ninanina

Without recommending the NVA speakers, what does everyone else use as a good match with NVA amps? Does anyone use Kef Q series ? these appeal to me

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My recs - Royd, Allison, Snell of the old ones. Epos, Rega, Audionote, Klipsch, of the new ones. All different but all good musically, which is all that matters.

But you should trust your own ears, if you are happy with the ls3/5a then that is all that matters. Ken Kessler agreed with you back in the 90's singing the praise of NVA amps with them. They are just not *my* cup of tea.

Obviously I am biased to my own designs though.