Colin Wonfor

All general audio posts go here.
jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Re: AoS

Unread post by jandl100 »

Colin Wonfor wrote:Anyway read on gentle not rude comments please (yer right) :- http://www.hifianswers.com/2015/04/coli ... -straight/
Fascinating, Colin.

The Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times" seems to fit you all too well. :(

Good that you a re a Terry Pratchett fan, though. :handgestures-thumbup: I am currently re-reading The Truth - probably for the 10th time. Still makes me laugh out loud.

So sorry to hear of your many problems. But good for you that you are making (another) comeback.

I had a brief time with the TQ Claymore amp recently - superb in many ways, it redefined for me what was possible from an amp in terms of midrange rez and palpability. Fantastic on electronic and rock music, but for me it was a bit feisty at the top end for classical and the remote control ergonomics were challenging! A superb achievement nonetheless - was that one of yours?

I don't get on with the TQ cables, though! ;)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Yes it was but I hate digital and was always crap at it all those BITS BYTING me was painful. The remote was something I did not want to fit but the marketing dept was more concern on sales than music, netherless strange as sales were not pushed. And it was a waste of my time I spent more time trying and I mean trying to get the remote to work, just got confused by all those "0" & "1" it switched me OFF.

The sound was nice but as the DOC is aware FET's are a pain to get working nicely. Shit I have not got one either, I have none of the beasties I designed some bugger alway bought them and I always assumed I would make another just for me, it never happened.

At the moment I am working on two designs a new type of valve (tube) amp a SECA design, and the problem that causes in a transformer output stage DC saturation due to forced one way B/H curve, and a Class D with saturable magnetics output stage i.e. a magamp design normally used in big S.M.P.S.U. This will mean the output device are just made from wire and not semiconductors thus basically bomb proof, fun eh.

And on a SECA pre-amp, using SiGa devices and Se based LDR not Cd and toxic. Oh a tip when Se burns or smokes it smells of crap rotten cabbage yuk, but good for finger nails. :grin:
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have met your type before Colin - mad tinkerer :mrgreen: the desire to play or do something different - because you can - takes over. C'mon mate, you need some discipline. Pick a circuit that is unique to you (I suggest the smaller SECA), get PCBs and a component stock for 10 kits, get a construction note / instructions written, lay out the kit neatly on a table laid out for view, take some photos. Decide on profit level and list it at eBay. No need for case just point people at on-line cases and heatsinks. Tell people on the forums (especially DIY ones) you have done it and explain what they get and level of skill required to build. Sell the 10 and then put another 10 kits together and do the same thing. Feature the uniqueness of the design. You could run a small business like this from a bedsit!!!!!

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Sad to read the interview Col, ''i'm not in a permanent home'' galls me, everyone needs shelter, :(
hopes things improve for you soon and may you live in happy times.

Good suggestion from the Doc above, i for one will keep my eyes peeled if the kits come to fruition.
Frank...made me do it.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I have met your type before Colin - mad tinkerer :mrgreen: the desire to play or do something different - because you can - takes over. C'mon mate, you need some discipline. Pick a circuit that is unique to you (I suggest the smaller SECA), get PCBs and a component stock for 10 kits, get a construction note / instructions written, lay out the kit neatly on a table laid out for view, take some photos. Decide on profit level and list it at eBay. No need for case just point people at on-line cases and heatsinks. Tell people on the forums (especially DIY ones) you have done it and explain what they get and level of skill required to build. Sell the 10 and then put another 10 kits together and do the same thing. Feature the uniqueness of the design. You could run a small business like this from a bedsit!!!!!
You a fun spoiler DOC, but right, but I like learning and things that go BANG hehe. :lol:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

wiicrackpot wrote:Sad to read the interview Col, ''i'm not in a permanent home'' galls me, everyone needs shelter, :(

Good suggestion from the Doc above, i for one will keep my eyes peeled if the kits come to fruition.
But it soon will be tent weather so I will be of to Halfords for a Tent, god I hate my own cooking it always black??? odd.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I had two small electrolytic caps go off the other day inside a powered speaker. Stupidly I had connected the + rail to the earth bus, really made me jump :shock: not good for the heart mate.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I had two small electrolytic caps go off the other day inside a powered speaker. Stupidly I had connected the + rail to the earth bus, really made me jump :shock: not good for the heart mate.
It is , it make's believe you're alive and great for the hearing, then you can enjoy music better and relax. It's when the 10KA 55V PSU vapourises the BUSbar and the spanner you left on it whoops, the metal stain is still on the roof. That was at Hainault near the forest. :whistle:

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Colin Wonfor wrote:
wiicrackpot wrote:Sad to read the interview Col, ''i'm not in a permanent home'' galls me, everyone needs shelter, :(

But it soon will be tent weather so I will be of to Halfords for a Tent, god I hate my own cooking it always black??? odd.
Sure you can do better than Halfords Colin, boot sale should sort you out, good to see you in good spirits though, :)
if you end up pitching a tent in some dark woods, at least mushrooms are free plus cooking in the twilight with candle power will mask the blackness in your cooking.
Frank...made me do it.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Colin Wonfor wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I had two small electrolytic caps go off the other day inside a powered speaker. Stupidly I had connected the + rail to the earth bus, really made me jump :shock: not good for the heart mate.
It is , it make's believe you're alive and great for the hearing, then you can enjoy music better and relax. It's when the 10KA 55V PSU vapourises the BUSbar and the spanner you left on it whoops, the metal stain is still on the roof. That was at Hainault near the forest. :whistle:
Are you guys actually safe to be let out of the asylum? :shock:

Two more fails for care in the community. :lol:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)