Hi fi in general

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hi fi in general

Unread post by joe »

slinger wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:Have any of you read twitter.

It's simple. We are humans, we all think we are unique and brilliant and have a desire to vocalise it.
Your generalisation is pointless. I certainly don't think I'm brilliant, and consequently have no desire to vocalise it. I'm far from unique too. Also, there is nothing "simple" about being human and it's certainly not a valid excuse for uncivilised behaviour. Perhaps you defending people like Marco, or just defending his right to behave as he does? I'm guessing not. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it's a good deal more complicated than that. Sometimes I can be brilliant, sometimes a complete idiot. All humans are unique (apart perhaps from identical twins who have exactly the same DNA).

As to why hifi disputes get so acrimonious, I think it's for the same reason academic disputes are so bitter; because the stakes are so low.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well cant talk for the rest of members.....
But my hifi is better than yours, or as close as pos to the ultimate, as makes little difference.
Hifi and arguments go together like Butter n Jam :hand: :twisted: :guiness; :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

slinger wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:Have any of you read twitter.

It's simple. We are humans, we all think we are unique and brilliant and have a desire to vocalise it.
Your generalisation is pointless. I certainly don't think I'm brilliant, and consequently have no desire to vocalise it. I'm far from unique too. Also, there is nothing "simple" about being human and it's certainly not a valid excuse for uncivilised behaviour. Perhaps you defending people like Marco, or just defending his right to behave as he does? I'm guessing not. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My generalisation is not pointless . The point I clearly made and indeed which you responded to was that argument and vitriol that the o/p suggest is unique to the hobby of hifi , is anything but .hifi is not different or unique

You may not agree , but to say my generalisation is pointless is absurd . Indeed it is necessary to accept I made a point you do not agree with in order for you to go on to comment as you do in the rest of the post .

In terms of brilliant/unique point , you are being two literal to make a point that is not worth making . We all put our best foot forward and we all think what we have to say is worth reading or we would not post it . And it is self-evident that you think your nice , friendly posting style is of significant merit and you wear this badge as the “voice of reason slinger” with pride .

As for your last comments, you must learn to read what I say . I said the explanation for conflict was simple ,I did not say humans were simple and I am buggered how you have read my words in a manner which would seek to condone the likes of marco .

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

And it is self-evident that you think your nice , friendly posting style is of significant merit and you wear this badge as the “voice of reason slinger” with pride .
Well, that's :Bllocks: of the highest order, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: You have passed a personal judgement on me without any knowledge of me as a person, just an assumption taken from selective posts of mine that you have read, and possibly understood. I post my opinions, right or wrong, and they are just that, not brilliant nuggets of knowledge dropped at the feet of forum members who should adore and venerate my every word. I'll leave that for others, and we all know who they are. Note I said "right or wrong" that's the big difference.
You may not agree , but to say my generalisation is pointless is absurd . Indeed it is necessary to accept I made a point you do not agree with in order for you to go on to comment as you do in the rest of the post
It is not necessary to accept you made a point, to try to explain why I think you didn't
The point I clearly made and indeed which you responded to was that argument and vitriol that the o/p suggest is unique to the hobby of hifi , is anything but .hifi is not different or unique
If you re-read my first post in this thread you'll see that I refer to my personal experience, after belonging to forums of varied subjects, that only on hifi forums have I experienced the level of vitriol that the O.P. was talking about. Not hifi in general. You must have read it because it was me that used the word "vitriol" which you have attributed to the O.P. It seems I must have responded before you posted.
Perhaps I should have used the word worthless and not pointless when referring to your generalisation? We are all humans, true. We all think we are unique, false. ...and have a desire to vocalise it, false. Unless of course you pretend to know me better than I know myself, and only my wife has ever claimed that to date. And I'm only one human, what about all the others? Hence, worthless. Sorry I called it pointless.

The thing is, if you really believe that to be a viable explanation for the vitriol/arguments/bullshit/etc. then you must allow it to apply to everyone equally. You, me , Marco, etc.

I saw the perfect T-Shirt for you yesterday, it said "I'm Not Arguing With You, I'm Merely Explaining Why You Are Wrong" If I need to explain why that is not a compliment then I expect to see it replace your Don Quixote quote. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

I saw the perfect T-Shirt for you yesterday, it said "I'm Not Arguing With You, I'm Merely Explaining Why You Are Wrong" If I need to explain why that is not a compliment then I expect to see it replace your Don Quixote quote. :lol: (Slinger)

I think it would be apt on a Lawyer.....
It would suit DQ......jpg
It would suit DQ......jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
:lol: :guiness;

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It is nice to see that you appreciate were I am coming from ;)

slinger you argue like macca pacca [ no that aint a compliment :lol: ]

however this "It is not necessary to accept you made a point, to try to explain why I think you didn't"
is a stroke of tautological rhetorical genius .