Wireless one box hifi

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Wireless one box hifi

Unread post by karatestu »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am
karatestu wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:18 am
I think they were probably talking relatively ie compared to other wireless speakers of a similar price.

What you say is very true though.
Hobson's Choice.

All £600ish brand new wireless speakers will be utter wank compared to what else you could put together for less money through the used / DIY route.

When you go to the B&O demo will you be taking your own system along? For an AB volume matched mini bake-off?

It's one of those where I'd be wondering how cheap a system I could put together that would beat the £2899 A9 for sound quality.
I'd have a reasonable chance of doing it for £100. I'd see it as an exercise for doing School For Scoundrels type understated Oneupmanship on the Brother-in-Law and the B&O dealer. :angelic-halofell:
I'll take my jbl charge 5 portable Bluetooth speaker with me. That is my system now for comparing :lol: I am going there with an open mind and hopefully a memory of what a traditional system sounds like. I have a selection of torture cd's that my diy system has problems with. That will sort the men from the boys as it were.

I won't be buying anything, this will be part of a comparison exercise involving Richer Sounds as well. You must all think I am losing the plot. I think I have.

My evaluation technique for hifi gas completely changed. There has got to be some life to thd music but I am very quickly annoyed by the slightest issues. This can vary from day to day. One day something pisses me off and the next say I listen to it again and the issue has gone. I can't trust my ears anymore, that is a huge part of the problem.

I recently tried my 2" cone tweeters open baffle. Absolutely loved it for a few days but then the dissatisfaction crept in. I wrapped the back side with some foam and the issues that had appeared went away. What is bloody wrong with me ? I can go from complete gushing satisfaction to skip time in a matter of days, sometimes hours.

I am scared that what ever I use , I will ultimately fall out with it. What Is the point in living like that. I hate it like a curse has been put on me. £150 jbl gets rid of all that whilst I am listening to it.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

George Hincapie wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am

Hard no from me. I have tried other active speakers since (ATC), but haven't found anything that performs as well as the Cube 2s and separate amplification.

HTH.
I doubt if active speakers would perform as well as my P20/A20/Cubettes/LS3/SSC, which as well as sounding very good has a small foot print. I am sure the current NVA starter bundle,with decent efficient speakers, would put ATC and their ilk in the shade.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:43 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If you are happy enough with the 150 quid jbl, what is it that is making you want to buy something else? i thought the point was to mug off all the frustration and dissatisfaction, not just potentially move it to something else?

This is a genuine question stu, buying something else seems to me at this point to be a sideways step that may not have any impact on your actual enjoyment.

I ask this as i have been dealing with the mental health of others (and myself) for the last 25 years and have always tried to be neutral and tell the people in question the absolute blunt truth rather than enabling the behaviours that are causing them distress. This has not made me a popular person as you may expect, people want a yes man not someone who will challenge them on things. But people who are struggling dont need a yes man, they need impartiality and clarity. I dont intend to offend.

Playing devils advocate, is buying something else as an 'upgrade' really what you need, or is it continuing on a parallel treadmill
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:40 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:41 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:53 am)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

You are of course quite correct. Why am I doing this?

My recent contributions on hfs are a documentation of my failing mental health. Starting to wish I could wipe it all away and disappear.
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

karatestu wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:44 pm You are of course quite correct. Why am I doing this?

My recent contributions on hfs are a documentation of my failing mental health. Starting to wish I could wipe it all away and disappear.
The way out of this is to remove any sources of frustration from your life and concentrate on those you love and who love you. Obviously you can’t remove the work stuff. Forums are no good for ultimate therapy, although writing things down can be cathartic. But it’s the real physical beings that are the best therapy. The work stuff and the internal stuff will improve once you take care of the human bits in your life. Guess how I know.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

In my experience someones current state of mind is a compound creation of circumstance, habits, experiences and feelings.
These things apart from experience can be changed.
Never ever be afraid to vent, shout and lament anything.
If you have had a really shitty time its perfectly natural to focus on something that makes you happy and forget all the shitty things to an extent that it becomes a borderline obsession and ends up not being something that makes you happy any more.

Years ago i was in this state, and one night i found myself laid on the path half way up the garden staring at the stars. Couldnt fathom why, and couldnt form a coherent thought. My wife had called a friend who was talking to me, and the first thing i heard was "what the hell are you doing?"

I really hadnt got a clue. My daughter was stood in the doorway (as a toddler) looking at me as clueless as i was. At that point i had to really ask what the hell i was doing. I wont go into the circumstances that led to this, but her confused face gave me the jolt i needed to change something. It took a long time and a lot of effort on my part to square myself away and be in a position to help my wife and others who needed a jolt.
My wife is a different kettle of fish as she has bipolar disorder so i had to get straight so i could be there for her and vaguely understand the things she was going through.

Get the drumkit out and beat the living daylights out of it.

Have a think about what you want, prioritise what is important, think about what is a want and what is a need.

I have no problem whatsoever talking about these things, i dont give a shit about stigma, its just words

What do you need stu, not what do you want
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:25 pm) • NSNO2021 (Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:21 am)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It's never always about how we're feeling, but it is always about how we're making the people we love feel.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for spelling this out for me. It seems this hifi obsession is hard to kick. Even when I thought I had, I hadn't. Maybe I need to stop coming on here altogether even though I enjoy it.

I have just been to a friend's to trim back some of his large trees. Made me feel good helping a friend out.

Getting rid of sourcex of frustration is all very well but I doubt there will be anything left apart from my wife and kids. I will try and identify the worst ones and try and come up with a plan.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:44 pm You are of course quite correct. Why am I doing this?

Participation on this forum is always entirely optional.

Contribute as much or as little as you want.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Take a couple of weeks off the forums, start by sorting out the stuff you can sell, and binning the rest, enjoy listening to your JBL, it'll give you time to think and maybe also if you would like something a little better. Go to Harrogate with your brother in law, at least it's a day out.