A place for DIY project discussions.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: hardwired Balanced Mains Transformer install

Unread post by Sovereign »

Gazjam wrote:
Sovereign wrote:http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/90/dlas.jpg
RD are you able to tell me what the black round disk is, it is wired into a ceramic connector block with live wires going in and out on the left side of the picture, thanks
I think its the surge protection James, a metal Oxide Varistor)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=varis ... 29&bih=455
My question is, can I do without it ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sovereign wrote:http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/90/dlas.jpg
RD are you able to tell me what the black round disk is, it is wired into a ceramic connector block with live wires going in and out on the left side of the picture, thanks
The only black disc I see looks like rubber, probably to damp vibration.
In the picture you can see two brown terminal blocks, to the left of those is a ceramic cream/white block, out of that is a block disc, the picture isn't very clear, the black disc is about the size of a two pence piece.
I still can't see it, but the only likely things would be surge protector or switch noise suppressor.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well if you have an AG1500 you are not going to get any surges or switch noise. So in that case yes.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Gazjam wrote:
If you put the AG500/AG1500 in first, wouldn't that be a bottleneck of sorts?
Why have a 2KVA BPS or higher..the most it can receive is 500/1500KVA...
You are making the mistake of thinking them as competitors doing the same thing, they don't. They are complimentary as they do different things and cure different problems, which is why I am so interested in prodding Sov to get his finger out.

Also some serious basic misunderstandings going on. Going for high VA is not because you need it, 500va would be fine for any Hi-Fi, it is about lowering source impedance. That is why bigger sounds better in both cases.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Gazjam wrote:I didn't realise my mains was so bad and how detrimental an effect this can have on your hifi system's sound - mains is VERY important guys!
Excuse my ignorance on this subject but,how do you test your mains for quality.

I've wired up a dedicated radial for my Hi-Fi and hand on heart I cant really hear a any difference .I've tried a few "mains conditioners" but they actually degrade the sound by being less revealing of the recording ,sort of less transparent (if that makes sense)when I take the "Conditioner" out of my system the life (transparency) returns,I can listen further into the recording.I'm probably not explaining myself very well,if i were to use an analogy I would say it's like have a "cleaner window" to see through .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Conditioners are filters, don't touch any filter with a barge pole unless they are absolutely necessary like speaker crossovers or Phono RIAA, but simplicity is king, more components less music.

Regen and balun are not conditioners, they are not filters.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All an amplifier does is mix music with 'leckytricity to make louder music. So as with making a cake if one of the ingredients is crap then no matter how good the other is you lose.

Best test for your mains is get up in the middle of the night and listen to your hi-fi, if it sounds lots better than normal then you have crap 'lecky.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I used a thing called a noise sniffer, think it was called that. The device has a speaker on it, you plug it into the wall and it amplifies the noise on the mains or so the theory goes.
I found it quite effective and consistent.

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

Ronin wrote:
Gazjam wrote:I didn't realise my mains was so bad and how detrimental an effect this can have on your hifi system's sound - mains is VERY important guys!
Excuse my ignorance on this subject but,how do you test your mains for quality.

I've wired up a dedicated radial for my Hi-Fi and hand on heart I cant really hear a any difference .I've tried a few "mains conditioners" but they actually degrade the sound by being less revealing of the recording ,sort of less transparent (if that makes sense)when I take the "Conditioner" out of my system the life (transparency) returns,I can listen further into the recording.I'm probably not explaining myself very well,if i were to use an analogy I would say it's like have a "cleaner window" to see through .
I dont use a mains conditioner for any of the music making bits, only have a Belkin PF30 in place to help isolate the bits of kit that have switch mode power supplies, TV Box, router etc.

I found that power conditioners could improve digital sources, but squashed the dynamics of my amplifiers. Not good!

testing for mains quality?
Purely on a subjective level in that before I was feeding my system from the balanced mains the sound quality was nowhere near as good.
Flatter, less dynamic, less transparent and real sounding.
With balanced mains in place the sound is so much better.
I believe this is due to the "noise floor" on the mains and other mains bourne interferance being stripped away before it gets to your hifi equipment.
I think its not that balanced mains ADDS anything to make it sound better, but it takes away what it is thats making it sound worse.
If that makes sense! :)

As Richard says, that "3 am sound" you get when the mains is not so under load is usually not there during the day if your mains is dirty.
With the balanced mains in place you get that clear 3AM sound all the time, because the mains is being cleaned oput before it hits your hifi.
I have HIfi n' stuff.

Gazjam

Unread post by Gazjam »

About the surge limiter..
with the balanced mains you'd need it Sov.

Mate of mine DIY'd his balanced mains unit and without the varistor the inrush current tripped the Consumer Unit.
I have HIfi n' stuff.