Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

Unread post by jimbob »

Having tried one of the new tweeters for size it seems a bit of fettling will be needed. The original holes with the threaded liners slightly fowl the holes on the tweeters so I have removed the liners. The new tweeters have a smaller face plate and do not leave much wood to screw in to. I will fill the recess of the original tweeter and will use filler to make the hole smaller.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't screw - glue drivers in with Bison Kit, then no screw hole problem. 3rd time of saying :roll:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I intended using bison on the bass driver but didn't know if it would set hard enough to support the tweeter. If so then happy days! I may still need to modify the area around the tweeter anyway.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just leave 24 hours on its back for the glue to go completely off.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Bison kit has been ordered. Doc how thick should I apply the glue for the steel plates?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

As thick as you want, you must have used glue before. Honestly trust your own judgement and learn.

kazam
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kazam »

A good bond can be achieved with probably less than you'd first imagine. If you're applying by tube, you can 'zig zag' it fairly lightly on both surfaces, I've been giving it 15-20 mins to go tacky before bonding the two surfaces with a tap. This is with 8mm plate.

The difference the plating makes is staggering. They sound just as you'd dream something so brutally heavy and solid would. Effortlessly deep, smooth and clean. :twisted:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

The weight of your speakers must be immense with 8mm plate!!! I'm using 5mm plate in mine. I decided to go for the 650ml tin of the bison so will be applying by brush. I'm really enjoying the process of this project and it is making me more eager to build a set of cubes from scratch.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

[img]we://i63.tinypic.com/2yuf2pj.jpg[/img]

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »