GENERAL ELECTION JUNE 8TH 2017

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: GENERAL ELECTION JUNE 8TH 2017

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I am a nothavean-ist. Perhaps I should start a new party called the nothaveanist party :roll:
Surely it's the Not Voting Anyway party?!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nearly - the Not Voting Anyway party

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

The bookies seem to think it's all over: http://news.paddypower.com/politics/201 ... bour-odds/

and have a book open on who will replace Corbyn if he walks. http://news.paddypower.com/politics/201 ... byn-walks/

My opening prediction was a Tory majority of 110, before moderating it to 80ish (for what now seems like the wrong reason). My final go is a Tory majority of 78 (364 seats). Anybody else wanting to join in with me and making a guesstimate?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A hung parliament - or perhaps that should be, they all should all be hung :lol:

Chaos, brexit postponed, new election. People realising they are wasting their time voting, so less than 40% turn out. House of Lords commission as to how the election method needs to be changed.

Result
1/ Elected House of Lords on a non party basis, only on appropriate skill and knowledge.
2/ Proportional representation using the German system.
3/ Both elections done at the same time
4/ Result is a left leaning coalition that calls for new Brexit vote.
5/ UK votes to stay in EU with proviso that there will be a proper renegotiation of membership, so semi detached from Europe as always.

Wishful thinking :roll:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Simon Hickie wrote:The bookies seem to think it's all over: http://news.paddypower.com/politics/201 ... bour-odds/

and have a book open on who will replace Corbyn if he walks. http://news.paddypower.com/politics/201 ... byn-walks/

My opening prediction was a Tory majority of 110, before moderating it to 80ish (for what now seems like the wrong reason). My final go is a Tory majority of 78 (364 seats). Anybody else wanting to join in with me and making a guesstimate?
Can't be confident of anything given how wrong the polls have been in recent elections. Tory support though is usually underestimated. May is turning out to be worst Conservative leader in history and would certainly bet on the Tories booting her if the majority is small. The upshift appears to coincide with Boris being brought to the fore.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Sadly, I think that the Tories will be re-elected tomorrow. I feel that Corbyn has been much the better candidate during the hustings while May has contrived to turn a 20 point lead into a much closer race with her evasions and her refusal to engage with the public. I am biased. Of course I am. I'm a Labour party member and a trade unionist. Whatever happens tomorrow I would urge you to do your part in shaping what is your future. You have a vote! Use it!

I urge you to vote Labour, and if a Labour Government is elected think of the joy that look on Dullard Trump's face will bring you when he realises that Britain will not be kissing his arse or holding his tiny little hand any longer. Our Police, The NHS, Teachers, have all spoken out against Tory policies. My one small voice will join with theirs tomorrow and I'm proud to be in such good company. For the many, not the few.

I've said my piece. You can have your thread back now.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The NHS have not spoken out against the conservatives if you are talking about the organisation or management. Actually if they where, probably would indicate a better job was done of sorting it out. It is the unions or medical organisations for whom I have no sympathy like the doc. They are bloody self serving (at least the vocal ones are, not the silent majority). public servants get far more than 1% rises due to progressive pay scales on service and have good pensions which private sector rarely has any more. The majority of the country are probably sick of it. Austerity is hardly that -ask a Greek. If government had tackled it properly like the irish the deficet would have gone by now. Instead they chipped away at daft things like the so called bedroom tax which likely has saved little. So i am no fan of the Conservatives under Cameron and it appears May was pretty useless as Home Secretary and likely will be as PM. If she delivers on Brexit vote I will be satisfied based on low expectations.

Corbyn is an activist of the far left who has tried to appear moderate in this campaign. he does have policies that are on the face of it attractive and fair. However if you factor in his background and the ideas for Nationalisation the figures don't add up. If you tax the rich more they avoid tax more so frankly the Lib Dems penny on income tax is more honest. Saw some interesting interviews with other present or former associates which clearly indicate his unsuitability to run the country - mainly he doesn't believe in parliamentary party but non elected activists running things. I think the majority of people realise this and will go for the less unsavoury option tomorrow. So I recommend don't vote for your nice moderate labour candidate and let Corbyn in by the back door. That means supporting the Tories on this occasion.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

slinger wrote:Sadly, I think that the Tories will be re-elected tomorrow. I feel that Corbyn has been much the better candidate during the hustings while May has contrived to turn a 20 point lead into a much closer race with her evasions and her refusal to engage with the public. I am biased. Of course I am. I'm a Labour party member and a trade unionist. Whatever happens tomorrow I would urge you to do your part in shaping what is your future. You have a vote! Use it!

I urge you to vote Labour, and if a Labour Government is elected think of the joy that look on Dullard Trump's face will bring you when he realises that Britain will not be kissing his arse or holding his tiny little hand any longer. Our Police, The NHS, Teachers, have all spoken out against Tory policies. My one small voice will join with theirs tomorrow and I'm proud to be in such good company. For the many, not the few.

I've said my piece. You can have your thread back now.
I'm also proud to be voting Labour tomorrow. Sadly I know what the outcome will be, but I will sleep easy, knowing I am not a total arsehole, unlike anyone who votes for May and her shower of shite. All you knuckle dragging fuckwits who will vote Tory tomorrow need to look in the mirror and be disgusted at what you see.
I don't mind the toffs being Tory but ordinary working people ? It beggars belief.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The choice is follow your heart or follow your head, or put your feet up with a cup of tea and follow neither. We have too much history, too many generations of ingrained brainwash, right or left they are both as bad as each other. The only time Labour made any sense, some of the time about some things, it was Blair and new labour and his pursuit of the middle ground. Right wing or left wing loonies have never made anything better.. AND loonies is a valid description as once someone goes beyond logic and common sense they are loonies in my book. Corbyn at least borders on that, and some times is well into it. I would say his Conservative equivalent is Boris, he goes over the loony line at times as well. Yet he could be our future if we are not careful.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No party leader (inc Lib and UKIP) has covered themselves with glory, I will bet none of them have much future. New times new generation will rise, sadly probably following the same old bollocks :(