Feck this, I've had enough.

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Feck this, I've had enough.

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I dont listen to it very much because i have a million and one things that i have to do on any given day
The missus puts it on whenever she feels like it so it is used every day. I just don't have a choice what is being played

Im not really bothered by that
I gave up making amps a couple of years ago, i realised after putting a p/a amp of all things in in the place of the kt77 amp i built. I realised it was crap.
And also realised that it was frustrating me so much that i wanted to hit it with a hammer.

I switched focus to turntables because i enjoyed making them much more, and changed my flailing around to a much more structured approach because i had other personal things that needed much more priority placing on them.
The change of balance and focus on the personal things i had been neglecting was a much needed change.
People talk about a work/life balance, there is also a hobby/ life balance.
Life should always come out on top, you only get one, and a hobby can be put down and picked up whenever but life always rumbles on
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:04 pm) • NSNO2021 (Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:14 am)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have neglected life and work in the five years since joining hfs, It’s alll Doc's fault :grin:

Something has to give. I have made the decision and I won't be going back on it. I'm doing this for me, my family and my enjoyment of music. Free of the shackles at last. It was bringing me down and I feel better already. It feels like dumping a long standing girlfriend- you feel sad for her but you know it's the best for everybody involved.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I have been looking through the options on Richer sounds site and there is a bewildering array of wireless speakers available.

This is what I want.....

One speaker
Adjustable dsp :shock: (yes I've lost the plot)
Bluetooth
Warm cosy sound for relaxation
Looks acceptable

Probably best in it's own thread.
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm
No more DIY then Steve ? Not even discussion there of ?
Nah! That’s that as far as I’m concerned. Don’t mind talking about it, but doing…not any more.

I have a series of short stories I’ve been working on since the start of lockdown. Five done so far and two in the early drafting stage. 30,000 words at the moment, so a fair bit to go yet.
There are two rotten attic windows I need to replace, the shit tip room I was talking about earlier to sort out and redecorate, our bedroom after that, and then a new stair-carpet from ground floor to third floor to think about. I’m 64 and need to future proof the building. We don’t want to be living in a leaking, tumble down shack in our dotage and I’m very conscious that there are not a lot of years left to go before I won’t be physically capable of doing the work that needs doing.

It’s a change of priorities.
40 years of fecking about with hi-fi is over.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:06 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:19 pm
karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm
No more DIY then Steve ? Not even discussion there of ?
Nah! That’s that as far as I’m concerned. Don’t mind talking about it, but doing…not any more.

I have a series of short stories I’ve been working on since the start of lockdown. Five done so far and two in the early drafting stage. 30,000 words at the moment, so a fair bit to go yet.
There are two rotten attic windows I need to replace, the shit tip room I was talking about earlier to sort out and redecorate, our bedroom after that, and then a new stair-carpet from ground floor to third floor to think about. I’m 64 and need to future proof the building. We don’t want to be living in a leaking, tumble down shack in our dotage and I’m very conscious that there are not a lot of years left to go before I won’t be physically capable of doing the work that needs doing.

It’s a change of priorities.
40 years of fecking about with hi-fi is over.
Feels good saying that last line I bet.

Good luck with the stories and home improvements .

There is life outside of hifi.
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Folks - please think about those who have been following your escapades for years. These have been stories that you couldn't make up and I'm sure we'll all miss them.

Thank you for all your contributions. They have been incomparable and, if you wish to reconsider, then I'd love to read the continuation of these threads as I'm sure others would.

Whatever happens , enjoy the music.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post (total 2):
antonio66 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:43 am) • karatestu (Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 am)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Had a look at the Richer Sounds website out of curiosity. It seems that wireless has become the in thing with devices from peanuts to over 5K! :whistle:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

You have i-love-streaming-itis. You'll never get over it, it's just too convenient. Consider sticking both your speakers in a corner, tidying up your amplifier arrangement, plugging a nice bluetooth receiver into your not-a-volume-control and forgetting about messing with it ever again. Still too much space? Well, there are some sound-bars with bluetooth inbuilt. They all sound like arse when you turn them up, but if you don't, the better ones make an acceptable noise. All the best.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
karatestu (Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:38 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:48 pm Folks - please think about those who have been following your escapades for years. These have been stories that you couldn't make up and I'm sure we'll all miss them.

Thank you for all your contributions. They have been incomparable and, if you wish to reconsider, then I'd love to read the continuation of these threads as I'm sure others would.

Whatever happens , enjoy the music.
Ay up Mick.

I am rather touched that you have enjoyed reading about my comical stumbling about randomly like a headless chicken whilst thinking I can bend the laws of physics. I reckon proper audio engineers will have been having a right laugh. That's OK if it has been of some entertainment value.

I have experienced a lot on this journey and one thing that stands out is that hifi is not worthy of the hype, obsessing, brand worship, money and time wasted.

In my case I stripped away as much stuff as I could to have a clearer view of the music. More detail was the quest. I think instead of just cleaning the window a bit more like a normal person would I removed the bloody window. The view at the end ain't pretty. Lots of music I used to love became unlistenable- not always because of my error but the fact that a lot of music was recorded and mastered by a deaf person. I would have ended up only listening to well recorded classical, jazz or the plinky plonk stuff that is forced on people at shows. I don't want to limit myself like that.

Who knows what will happen in the future. I am trying my bloody hardest to leave it all behind. I will nof sell my physical media just in case.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:32 pm You have i-love-streaming-itis. You'll never get over it, it's just too convenient. Consider sticking both your speakers in a corner, tidying up your amplifier arrangement, plugging a nice bluetooth receiver into your not-a-volume-control and forgetting about messing with it ever again. Still too much space? Well, there are some sound-bars with bluetooth inbuilt. They all sound like arse when you turn them up, but if you don't, the better ones make an acceptable noise. All the best.
Hello Rex. Thank you for your input .

Yep, streaming is so easy and convenient. I never ever thought I would be where I am now with my shunning of cd, vinyl and serious playback equipment. As I am never satisfied with my own creations I think I will be without a system in my living room at home for a long time. One of my best friends dropping dead at 53 has brought home the reality that even though I am not yet 50, time is slipping by.

That is not a bad suggestion re putting both my speakers together in a corner with amps and something like a Bluesound node plonked on the end. Same result I suppose. Plenty of bass with those in the corner :lol:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 am)
DIY FREE ZONE