Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Doc modding Marantz imperial 7

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

PM or email me delivery address and tel # for carrier.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Got some 6mm angle iron cut for the top and bottom corners. Only a 13 x 20 piece of sheet to go in the centre and complete the jigsaw. Every bit of cab is going to be covered. Then four more pieces of angle to go from top to bottom and fill in the holes.

Pictures to follow when i have got a camera :grin: I am going to need a sack barrow to move these when finished ! This has a number of positives 1) they will sound ace 2) my kids cant knock them over 3 ) nobody will be able to knick them , unless Geoff Capes is a burglar now.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Hello,

Look what arrived today

Thanks very much Doc. 12" bass (x2), 5" mid (x2), Visaton G35 (x2) and caps & resistors for tweeters. All arrived safely and SUPERBLY packaged.

Also a pic of some of the angle iron I have been cutting up. These four bits are for the floor of one of the cabs. They are going right into the corners and I have even mitred them :dance: . Just need to fill the hole with plate. I will be doing the same for the top of the cabs, sides and back. The baffle will have two sheets of steel with holes cut out for the drivers. Good job I have got a plasma cutter :grin:

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

karatestu
Great Britain

Bloody hell, doc modding those would be a serious project and keep you in work for a while Doc.

The drivers look like the ones in the 7's. Maybe I could sell them for refoaming although not all of mine are shagged, the tweeters look fine.

Still cutting bloody steel here. :(

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Jeez Stu, thats serious weight you're putting in those speakers,
hope it don't kill the music with it lined with metal to the hilt. :)

If ti doesn't work out, you can turn them into practice dummies for Wing Chuan practice,
they'll be basically the weight of a grown man. :mrgreen:
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

karatestu wrote:Bloody hell, doc modding those would be a serious project and keep you in work for a while Doc.

The drivers look like the ones in the 7's. Maybe I could sell them for refoaming although not all of mine are shagged, the tweeters look fine.

Stu
There is an even larger one called the Imperial 9 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/otta ... 1086488434 you could buy these and float them back from Canada.

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Whats your take of multi driver speakers Doc?, my thoughts are would they not lack focus and sound fuzzy with sound coming from so many units?. :)
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not enough experience to comment apart from *in theory* or *cut and paste*. It would be fun finding out if I had the time and space. These are trying for the JBL market. My max drive unit experience is with 3 ways. But large multi driver JBLs fetch a furtune in Japan and now China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fNPPjfAzR0

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
karatestu wrote:Bloody hell, doc modding those would be a serious project and keep you in work for a while Doc.

Stu
There is an even larger one called the Imperial 9 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/otta ... 1086488434 you could buy these and float them back from Canada.
Careful Doc, you are starting to give me a vintage Marantz speaker fetish. Is there really any need for that many drivers ?

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE