Your last listen

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Your last listen

Unread post by Fretless »

I deeply, deeply regret selling most of my vinyl collection when I emigrated. Had about 2000 LP's of wonderful 60's, 70's and 80's stuff. Will be kicking myself for the rest of the day (again). Still have about 300 over and have tried (successfully) to replace the old collection almost entirely with CD's.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

nerica19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nerica19 »

Fretless wrote:I deeply, deeply regret selling most of my vinyl collection when I emigrated.
I kept all my vinyl although never had as many as you did - my problem was that all my hifi kit was rubbish in my student days and we never looked after stuff very well - and a lot of the vinyl is fecked sadly, so am replacing what I can from the sadly long 'unplayable' list.

One original survivor was my amazingly pristine copy of John Martyn's Solid Air, but my dodgy left knee suddenly gave way last week when I was taking it off the turntable and I dropped it. Aaaaaaarghhhhhh....
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Fretless
Netherlands

Not so solid then .... :doh:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

You've been taking your time
And you've been living on solid Aaargh!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

nerica19

terrybooth wrote:You've been taking your time
And you've been living on solid Aaargh!
Haha! Nice - that neatly sums it up.

£30 odd for an original replacement on Discogs - but I did like my own copy as it goes back a long way with me and I did a lot of things with it playing in the background. About the same cost for a 'new' 180g version but based on previous 180g experience prob not a good idea.

Bought a copy of Jack Johnson's album Sleep Through Static on double 180g vinyl and disc one was so warped I complained to Dodax and they seemed so unsurprised they just sent me another one, which was OK and told me not to bother sending the first one back (2nd disc is fine).

A couple of other new 'remastered' 180s have arrived covered in cack and even prints - and in a rubbish paper sleeve, so need cleaning and re-sleeving before even playing them for the first time. I know doing this might be a good idea anyway but I just feel I don't really want to be wash cleaning a brand new shrink wrapped item.

One 180g that has been excellent is Elbow's The Take off and Landing of Everything, which wife bought me. Very smartly produced double album. It threw me a bit when I found it plays at 45rpm, which is an LP first for me but at least I was able to use the Rega PSU speed switch for the first time ever...
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

One 180g that has been excellent is Elbow's The Take off and Landing of Everything, which wife bought me. Very smartly produced double album. It threw me a bit when I found it plays at 45rpm, which is an LP first for me but at least I was able to use the Rega PSU speed switch for the first time ever...(nercia19)

"New Order - Blue Monday" was the first 45rpm LP i had, ant it had me sratching my head for a wee momment.......... :think: :doh:

nerica19

jammy395 wrote:"New Order - Blue Monday" was the first 45rpm LP I had, and it had me scratching my head for a wee moment.......... :think: :doh:
Yay! - yes, I had that as a 45rpm 12-inch single - and what a headbanger it was. I think it's still in a box somewhere - but probably falls into the unplayable old vinyl category, sadly.

Fretless
Netherlands

Are we talking about the New Order album 'Power, Corruption and Lies' (33 rpm) or the 12" single 'Blue Monday' here?

I can think of a couple of 45rpm albums released in the mid 80's when there was an attempt to counter the new CD technology with the better dynamics of 45rpm discs.

These are:
'Trancefer' by Klaus Schulze (still have it)
'The Spell' by The Enid (double album - not their best moment)

But 45rpm albums never really caught on, playing time per side was restricted to max 18 mins and within a few years CD dominated the market.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Sorry for the confusion.... :oops:

"New Order - Blue Monday" was the first 45rpm LP i had,

Should read.... :think:

"New Order - Blue Monday" was the first 45rpm 12" single i had,

Ooop's :doh:

nerica19

Fretless wrote:'The Spell' by The Enid (double album - not their best moment).
Blimey - the Enid - perhaps the worst-named band in history - surely just leaving out the 'i' would have made the name better. Saw them live at University College 100 years ago. Then keyboard player Glen Tollet was a pal of my mate Rod (dentist to the stars these days - he whitened Simon Cowell's teeth, I believe). I have the Enid album 'In the Region of the Summer Stars' (I think it's called) in the probably unplayable box! Maybe I'll give it a wash and brush up and see if it works...