A80 + fitted Shinko sa and headphones

All things NVA
NicolasFromFrance
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A80 + fitted Shinko sa and headphones

Unread post by NicolasFromFrance »

I was just thinking again about headphones use. :think:

Given (expected) quality of amplification given by the two A80+Shinkho, I am a bit hesitant to use something else (e.g. AP10H) for headphones.

I still have an old '97 QED MA18 headphones "volume attenuator" box, which is suppposed to sit in between amps and speakers... I don't know if you know this small box and I suppose it's not recommended to use with my (future) A80s ?

Do you still think it's not feasible/sensible to fit two mono sockets on A80s ? And I would then use a Y cable to plug my headphone ?

Anyway, I am just thinking and it is not crucial. 90% of my listening time is on speakers.

BTW : I am completely starting new DIY speakers (in a 65 Liters cabinet):
Tweeters DYNAUDIO Esotar T330D
Boomers SEAS Excel Millenium W21 EX001
3 components filters : Duelund cap and resistor and Mundorf self

I will let you know (in a few weeks) how they sound with A80s !

Thanks ! :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: A80 + fitted Shinko sa and headphones

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is possible, but awkward, and you should not stack A80's so the Y adapter will be long. Don't use that box off the speaker connections.

Anyway I am building the amps at the moment so let me know quickly if you want to do it, and if you want me to build the Y adapter as well.

NicolasFromFrance

Thanks Richard. I am very happy to see my amps are already under construction ! 8-)

Could you explain a bit more why these mono sockets is an awkward idea ? Is it from practical use or from musical quality point of view or even both ? Are A80s kind of "overkilling" for driving headphones ?

Alternatively, using an AP10H, I suppose I would have to plug and unplug interconnect from A80s to AP10H ?

Other option, buy a DAC like the Beresford (if better than my CD player internal DAC) which has a headphone socket...

I promise not to take a long time to make my mind, in order not to delay production process ! :)

You said I should not stack A80s : I planned to have one per shelf meaning approx. 5 cm of free air between the two monoblocks. Would that be enough ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

NicolasFromFrance wrote:Could you explain a bit more why these mono sockets is an awkward idea ? Is it from practical use or from musical quality point of view or even both ? Are A80s kind of "overkilling" for driving headphones ?
It is awkward to build it on my side and a bit awkward to use on your side. Apart from that it will be fine.

The AP10h will be better as you can control both speakers and headphones separately, with this way built in the A80 they work together unless you unplug speaker leads. The AP10h takes its feed from a line out I can fit on the amp so no cables need changing they can be permanently wired in.

But again you need to tell me as they are being made at the moment.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Where else would you get service like that eh? Glen Croft I suppose and maybe a few others out there, but not many! :clap:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

"Where else would you get service like that eh? Glen Croft I suppose and maybe a few others out there, but not many!"

Andrew Rothwell - Rothwell audio...........(another hifi good guy)

:clap:

jammy.

NicolasFromFrance

First, as zebbo and jammy395 mentionned, thank you very much Richard for your advices and service ! :clap:

I understand AP10H would be ideal, but I have a limited (still appreciated) use of headphones (less than 10%). From a cost point of view, mono sockets+Y adapter are probably a lot less expensive than AP10H+SSP, so I would prefer the sockets option. If cable not too expensive, ideal length of Y adapter would be 2m. Let me know how much would sockets+Y adapter be and if I can order this through ebay.

Richard, a last question as you said I should not stack A80s : I planned to have one per shelf meaning approx. 5 cm of free air between the two monoblocks (if A80 case is the same than AP50). Would that be enough to dissipate heat ?

Thank you again ! :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes that is fine.

Sockets and headphone circuitry fitted are £30 each, so £60.

Cable would be £50. So £110 total

Add it as a post on your NVA order thread. It will delay production of the amps a few days though. If you use same bank transfer then add £10 to cover the costs from the last one and this one.

NicolasFromFrance

Ok, I will post my answer on order thread.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi Doc on the subject of stacking, My A70s are currently one on top of the other...!!! Is this ok ?
Have boogied hard and long with them like that and they seem quite cool...... 8-)
jammy