LS1 vs LS5

All things NVA
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LS1 vs LS5

Unread post by Sovereign »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Ninanina wrote:Are ALL Royd's good then ?

because his 6 inch driver he built individually himself if multiplied up in a line array would have been awesome IMO.
mmmm...Perhaps I should go on a hunt for a load of Royd drivers, I may find a load of hens teeth first...

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Sovereign wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Ninanina wrote:Are ALL Royd's good then ?

because his 6 inch driver he built individually himself if multiplied up in a line array would have been awesome IMO.
mmmm...Perhaps I should go on a hunt for a load of Royd drivers, I may find a load of hens teeth first...
If you find any please let me know :D . Whatever you do don't throw away the metal tubes which are glued to the back of the drivers, as one Ebay seller did a while back , rendering them pretty useless. . Don't know what their function was , maybe part of the tuning port ( perhaps Richard can enlighten us ) but they were part of the 'magic' of the Royds . I own a pair of A7s and wouldn't part with them . I also owned a pair of Minstrels which I sold and have been trying to replace ever since . Both worked very well with my AP20 and responded very well to every cable upgrade I made .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This is the best website to find out about them http://www.roydaudio.com/

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Been on it loads of times Richard , a mine of information on all things Royd :D

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Well I received the LS5 today

First impressions are good but not had too long to give a proper listen too

The plugs are awful though. They simply have no grip whatsoever, one if them just falls out. I cannot believe this helps sonically. Does anyone else have this problem? I've been using Chord Odyssey for years and the plugs (which I dont think we're expensive) have been in and out of many amps/speakers and are as tight today as when new

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Yes my LS5 slips out all the time. The LS6 comes with the excellent Z plugs. Maybe RD could fit the Z plugs to all cables in the range?????

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Surprised to hear this - glad my forth coming LS6 have the z plugs fitted,,,,,!!!!

:shock:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ninanina wrote:The plugs are awful though. They simply have no grip whatsoever, one if them just falls out. I cannot believe this helps sonically. Does anyone else have this problem? I've been using Chord Odyssey for years and the plugs (which I dont think we're expensive) have been in and out of many amps/speakers and are as tight today as when new
They are trade ins, if you want z plugs then its new cable. Anyway just open out the springs with something pointy. No it doesn't effect the sound.

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Trade in or otherwise i expect them to work better than they do

How tricky would they be to redo? I am pretty handy with a solder iron..... not bad for a girly is it ???? :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ninanina , have you tried the docs suggestion ?