New Speakers Yay

All general audio posts go here.
Neilardo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Speakers Yay

Unread post by Neilardo »

Got outbid on a pair of Royd Sintras. :cry: It said they were version 1s in the advert but they were clearly biwirable so I think they were 2s. I was the highest bidder right up to the VERY LAST SECOND. Booooo! Was that you Gromit? Or perhaps it was someone
setting outrageously high bids, in the last few seconds, that only an Arab oil sheik would challenge
, so I was never destined to get them.

Anywhoo, what I have now got is a pair of Epos ES22s. :dance: to replace the M!2s.
The reason I am posting is the guy who's selling them no longer has the original jumpers, they're tri-wirable, and I'm using A60 with LS6 biwire. How should I configure this? I'm particularly asking Sov and TB, but would appreciate help from anyone who has experience with ES22s. I realise that to get the best from these speakers I'm going to have to get another amp but that isn't possible at the moment. The Seller has very kindly offered to include a length of his speaker cable (his new speakers are biwire, can't remember what brand he said), I know this can't be run from the A60 but perhaps some sort of jumper can be configured.
Anyway they don't arrive til next week, suggestions please.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: New Speakers Yay

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Neilardo wrote: they're tri-wirable, and I'm using A60 with LS6 biwire. How should I configure this?
Well unless this is typo, just plug in and play.

Neilardo

Three sets of sockets on back of speaker, two sets of plugs on cable. If that makes sense.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Send your cable back to be configure for tri-wire then. £30 plus postage.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

So, I have been through the following configurations:

I made up jumpers with some screw type banan plugs with a hole in that you could push the speaker banana plug through - I used 10mm cooker cable and insulation tape - all very Heath Robinson and prone to drop apart as the screws loosened, but they work.

Then I think had tri-wired ls5 and when I got my second set of amps I had one pair straight (into the bass) and the tri-wire converted to bi-wired.

The the LS5 was replaced with LS6 in the same configurations.

They are now back to the Heath Robinson config with a piece of LS6 - but it works.

However, of course the Doc's advise is best.
Jumpers1.JPG
Jumpers1.JPG (50.67 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Last edited by terrybooth on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I'm out and about at the moment but I'll see if I can post a picture tonight. So you can see. I basically did what terry booth discribed but with LS2.
My advice would be to get the happy Dr to tri wire your LS6 as you will be spending about £20 on 8 banana banana plugs

Neilardo

Thanks for the help guys. Never occurred to me that LS6 could be tri-wired, D'oh :doh: . That or throw my non-existent DIY skills at cobbling something together on the new speakers. Errrrr.....

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

The Doc did explain to me somewhere exactly what tri-wiring LS5 involved (the number of cores going to each connection) but since the LS5 (6 and 7) are multi-core (28 silver plated copper for LS5, if I remember), so tri wiring is a simple :o matter of dividing up the cores and attached them to different plugs.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Neilardo

New speakers still in the post, Booo.
Interestingly the Royd sintras that I was outbid on last week are back on ebay today listed are Ultra rare mark 1 sintras with bi-wire upgrade and "probably the best sounding sintras ever made".
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-Sintra-r ... 500wt_1140
At B.I.N. £425 :shock: . Hmm profiteering or not quite what the purchaser was expecting? By the way they sold for £196 on 03/10/12. Not quite so tempted at that price! :lol:

However this has caught my eye
Royd prior
Any one tried these? Are they anywhere near the Minstrel/sintra II/revelation series for royd-y quality. Just around the corner from me, seriously tempted.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't lose these contact him make him an offer and bite his hand off - sell your granny etc.