What Turntable

All general audio posts go here.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: What Turntable

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I describe it as looking through a window, the cleaner it is the more you can see, and the more you can see the more you want to clean the window - in this case the window is looking into your music.

Your experiences and revelations in you system growth so far have shown you how things can progress, you can stop if you wish but that doesn't mean that is it! there is more to find and I am afraid it is a never ending journey, only you decide where to get off the train, but don't deny the train is capable of moving on somewhere else.
Looking through a window on Music is, as I remember, how they used to advertise Quad ESLs. I quote from the instruction manual from the section about speaker positioning:
"The objective on a concert programme is that the loudspeaker should appear as an open window beyond which lies the Concert Hall" it goes on to say that with "modern studio practices" the perspective should be as from the front dress circle.

Why don't they write blurb like that nowadays? At least they were writing simply as though the objective were to recreate a musical experience. Now we get "There’s a sense of scale and authority that belies the speaker’s compact dimensions." to quote a random stock phrase from a review. To requote a phrase - a load of hyperbollocks.

Anyway, my other point is on this question about where to stop. Satisfaction is all about attaining a balance of compromise. I'm sure Andrew Carnegie has a suitable phrase for this (American Steel magnate, philanthropist and philosopher). I think he said something like "Income 10 shillings, expenses 10 and sixpence, result Human Misery. Income 10 shillings, expenses 9 and sixpence, result human happiness."
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

This is one of my father in laws favourite quotations:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Mr Micawber - David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

Bloody Americans try to take credit for everything! (even made a film claiming it was Americans who retrieved an enigma machine from a U boat :liar: )

Happy new year to all. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yep thats the Yanks for ya............ :lol:
I cant think of one bit of kit those bloody trigger happy twats have invented................. :think:
NOW COME ON FOLKS - PLEASE TELL ME IM TALKING SHITE.................(But)......... you have to give example's............. :doh: :doh:
The first prick that mentions KRELL will have me running for my Claymore.................... :evil:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

jammy395 wrote:
The first prick that mentions KRELL will have me running for my Claymore.................... :evil:
Even a Claymore's a better amp than a Kre....you know what ;)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

True Gromit ...so true.....Please dont mention Mcintosh either.....Those amps are an embarrassment to a good Scot's name...The Clan chief will be turning in his grave. :whistle: :hand: :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Of course, if you want to compare the PL71 with an L07D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-Trio- ... 3a7d2baf07
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Are yes the man from Clacton on Sea the thing is do I buy this or the Doc's demo TSS
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well you will still have the money in the end as you will sell on either of the unwanted TT. Just puts about a month delay on the TSS.

There will a few buyers for the PL71 I bet.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

C'mon , how does to PL71 compare before we move on to a £2.5k trio .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He collects it today.