Dazed and Confused

All things NVA
floydfan

Dazed and Confused

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi All

This is my first post in the new forum although I have been following for a while and enjoyed the banter. This first post might be a bit long as I intend to tell my life story and look for useful information to take into my brave new listening venture. :) At the moment my main listening room has a connoisseur BD2,Roksan Kandy CD, cambridge Audio Azur Receiver and Kef iQ5 speakers my second sysem is a Squeezebox Touch, NVA P50, NVA A30 and Mission 737 speakers. This arrangement does not completely suite me as I bought the NVA equipment to go with my Kandy and Kefs but the Kefs cooked the amp. Richard said that the complicated crossover made them too difficult for such a small amp and he very kindly fixed it for me and I had to put the easier Missions on.Before the Amp went I thought the system sounded brilliant.
I would like some comment on my future plans: buy a phono one and a mk1 A60 and bi-amp the Kefs so I would have both the CD and Vinyl sources feeding my Kefs. I would use the Touch with the Cambridge and the Missions.
On a slightly different subject I would like to relate my turntable story, again comments whether positive or not would be welcome. My first turntable was the Connoisseur which lasted many years before giving up the ghost. To inform my choice of replacement I started reading the Hi Fi press. The unanimous decision was, that on my budget, I could do no better than a Project debut. I bought one and dusted off the vinyl. I did not like the Project and eventually had a go at fixing my connoisseur; replaced the motor, suspension and belt. I was happy again. But my son (a serious Hi Fi buff with a liking for the magazines) visited me and spotted some motor noise. I started to hear it and have now spent the last week at my computer searching the web for information on the decks I could afford. It's a mad house out there. Either the belt drive suspended chassis,idler wheel or direct drive is the best system ever invented or you can buy a cheap fixer and spend x thousands building a giant killer. You also have to spend hours on Ebay to catch the perfect bargain.
Of course the best way would be to buy them all and try them out or you could go back to the mags and read up on the experts comments. I must admit that I had a look or two at my sons magazines but I can stand the language used in the reviews for so long before I feel a bit sick.
Anyway rant over I hope this explains the title of the post. :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dazed and Confused

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Bi-amp is the way to go the A30 is really only a HF amp for bi-amp systems, the obvious one for the bass/mid is an A60. I don't like Kefs but speakers are so much personal taste.

I am afraid Connoisseur's always had rattly motors which is why they decouple with an elastic band, try replacing the band. Also they get more rattly with age, it is a very cheap motor. I had a BD1 kit many many many moons ago.

I you want me to point you to some good ebay tt just ask.

floydfan

Thanks for the quick response. I will put an order into the correct place and I would like turntable recommendations.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you can get it for under £60 then go for it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-PIONE ... 27cf529306 finishes in a couple of hours.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi Floydfan - welcome to the forum.....enjoy.

Some TT recomendations.......Avoid Belt drive TTs like the plauge IMHO....... :hand:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SL-D ... 2ec5c7dcd7

And if yer feeling flush buy this........Bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-Trio- ... 3052682%26

Happy hunting all the best Jammy. :clap: :whistle:

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Bi-amp is the way to go the A30 is really only a HF amp for bi-amp systems, the obvious one for the bass/mid is an A60.
Its no good I can't help myself I am just going to have to ask what is probably a stupid question :oops:

If you bi-amp with amps of different power output with a passive pre-amp does this mean the balance between HF and MF/LF is upset, i.e. the latter overwhelms the former?

There I've said it and may never be able to contribute again!
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Bloody good question - Doc should be along soon, and probably explain it a lot better than i could. :clap: :dance: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It makes no difference. There is so much bullshit in this industry even basic things like this confuse users. Watts are meaningless in this situation as if the tweeter had 5w going through it it would probably fry, well obviously it wont as it is only handling high frequencies where there is no need for power. What is important is input sensitivity so that all the amps are working together in unison and obviously all NVA amps have the same input sensitivity.

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

Ahh. So you can use a much lower output amp for the HF just as long as the input sensitivity is matched. The black art of the black box - wonderful :clap:
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

floydfan

Hi Richard

Just had a go with the Pioneer you suggested. It went in the last 2 seconds for £75. This ebay lark is a bit hard on the blood pressure and I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the tip anyway. I will keep my eyes open for a similar one. The Technics was also suggested to me. I take it direct drive is the favoured choice round here.
Anyway I'm off to get my cocoa, too much excitement for one day.
Thanks again.