Hello and AMP advice

All general audio posts go here.
kleynie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello and AMP advice

Unread post by kleynie »

Hi, first post on here so go easy on me!

To date I have only been interested in music and I have some reasonable components, can't remember all the models but I have a 1970 pioneer turntable, a 2002 pioneer CD recorder, a 1990's dolby S Sony tape deck and a very nice TA-F770ES Sony amp, all this is coupled to Wharfedale Pacific Pi40 floor standers.
I love the sound of my amp and speakers, they work very well together. I am now looking at home cinema so I purchased a set of Wharfedale Pacific Pi20's and centre and I was going to ditch my amp and buy a Denon AV amp for around £800.

So here's the problem - as I understand it no £800 AV amp will be anywhere near as good as my current Sony 770ES stereo amp for music, so is the best solution to keep my current amp and compliment it with an AV amp? Obviously I would run the front speakers (Pi40's) from the stereo amp and everything else from the AV amp, if this is the case how do I hook it up? I have noticed two RCA inputs on the back of the stereo amp marked up as 'direct in' and a knob on the front for direct in, does that mean I can send the pre amp signal from the proposed AV amp to the direct in RCA's and the AV amp would then control the volume? Or am I missing something?
Also the room is not yet plastered so I am running Van Damme 4 core 4mm tour grade OFC cable within the walls for bi-wiring, is this cable well known to you guys and is it good enough?

The last question (promise), my TA-F770ES amp would not power up if I bi-amp my Wharfedales, is this because the ohms are too low?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for reading

Ian

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Hello and AMP advice

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Not my thing I am afraid. I really can't understand why people can't have 2 channel AV system, lets face it we only have two ears. But each to their own, I am sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

kleynie

Unread post by kleynie »

Thanks Jason.

Regarding the direct input, I have a selector on the front of the amp for source, adapter (graphic equaliser etc) or direct. I am thinking direct will bypass the volume control but I may be wrong. I also have a direct button which just bypasses the tone and bass controls for whatever source is selected. Not having the original instruction manual isn't helping here and its not easy to test as the amp is in storage whilst I'm building the 'cinema' room (lounge to the wife)!

Anyone have a TA-F770ES Sony amp?

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

kleynie wrote:
Anyone have a TA-F770ES Sony amp?
You called? ;)

Hi Ian - yes, I have one of these lovely beasts. I think the direct input bypasses the tape circuits. Of course when the source direct button is pressed on the front of the amp it also bypasses the tone/balance controls. Basically, the direct input (ie the one on the back of the amp) gives the shortest path between source/volume control/power section.

I use the direct input for my dac as it handles 2 separate sources (MacBook and CD player). It does sound slighly better than the other, non-direct, line inputs.

Sorry can't help re hooking up an AV rig although what Jason says does make sense. Don't sell your 770 though if you really like it - I love mine, it's a superb amplifier. :)

Hope you get sorted.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Is this the smaller one Gromit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TA-F700E ... 2c6d09ccd3
I'm not totally sure how Sony categorised their ES amps number-wise so really couldn't say where this one fits in the grand scheme. If you check out Hifi Leipzig it's a fairly good guide as to what's what; the higher the price, the better the amp. The Germans really go for these old things, but us Brits have largely ignored them.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The crinkly old knob :mrgreen: thinks it is.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F700ES.html

kleynie

Unread post by kleynie »

Gromit, have you tried Bi amp'ing your speakers using the Sony amp? Mine goes into lock out when I do that and I have to make do with 2 channel bi wiring.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

kleynie wrote:Gromit, have you tried Bi amp'ing your speakers using the Sony amp? Mine goes into lock out when I do that and I have to make do with 2 channel bi wiring.
Hi Ian - I'm not entirely sure what you mean re bi-amping my speakers? My speakers are only single-wire so bi-amping wouldn't be possible anway. Bi-amping usually means driving a pair of bi-wirable speakers with, for example, a separate power amp for each set of speaker terminals (ie one amp drives the bass, the other the treble etc) which is what I did when I had my NVA rig.

I think the Sony will only trip its protection relays if there's a short circuit or DC at the speaker terminals - I also have a 670ES which kept tripping out when I borrowed some speakers recently which had an intermittent crossover short.

kleynie

Unread post by kleynie »

Gromit wrote:
kleynie wrote:Gromit, have you tried Bi amp'ing your speakers using the Sony amp? Mine goes into lock out when I do that and I have to make do with 2 channel bi wiring.
Hi Ian - I'm not entirely sure what you mean re bi-amping my speakers? My speakers are only single-wire so bi-amping wouldn't be possible anway. Bi-amping usually means driving a pair of bi-wirable speakers with, for example, a separate power amp for each set of speaker terminals (ie one amp drives the bass, the other the treble etc) which is what I did when I had my NVA rig.

I think the Sony will only trip its protection relays if there's a short circuit or DC at the speaker terminals - I also have a 670ES which kept tripping out when I borrowed some speakers recently which had an intermittent crossover short.
What I mean is driving the mids/tweeters from the 'A' speaker terminals and the woofers from the 'B' speaker terminals as the speakers have bi wire capability. The protection circuit trips if I do this, but if I just bi wire to the 'A' terminals only the amp is fine.