Speaker wiring

All things NVA
howardc1951

Speaker wiring

Post by howardc1951 »

Richard,
As I'm about to build some speakers I was wondering if it's possible to buy short lengths of LS1 for internal wiring. They would need to be soldered at the ends but obviously wouldn't need plugs. I was thinking of a 25cms stereo pair. If so how would I order them as they're not going to be up on Ebay.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Speaker wiring

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its not ordinary cable cut off a reel it is an assembly of many cable cores, so it can't be done in small lengths and there are no off cuts because it is built to the lengths ordered.

We use two types of cores, one far more expensive than the other

LS1 - 7 cores of cheaper one
LS3 - 14 cores of cheaper one
LS5 - 28 cores of cheaper one
LS6 - 19 cores of cheaper one and 28 cores of the expensive one
LS7 - 150 cores of the expensive one.

howardc1951

Post by howardc1951 »

OK thanks Richard

Daniel Quinn

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I have done this . But I removed the speaker sockets and hard wired my LS1 speaker cable direct to the woofer and tweeter with mininal crossover .

If you dont wish to do this , then just buy the required length of required LS speaker cable and use the individually isolated cores , you may wish to experiment with how many cores you run from the crossover to each driver, but theortically you could get all the cable you need with 1 m pair of LS1 by running just one of the 7 cores from the crossover to each driver terminal

I run 7 cores each to +and - terminals on the bass and tweeter .

howardc1951

Post by howardc1951 »

As I've only got 1 speaker unit per cabinet I think I might just hard wire the cable through and not bother with speaker terminals.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Good choice.

howardc1951

Post by howardc1951 »

So is it possible to have the speaker cable only terminated at one end? I don't mind paying for the plugs, it just seems slightly pointless for you to spend time soldering them on when the first thing I'm going to do is cut them off!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The termination cost is labour not plug, the plugs are about 40p each. And if I don't fit plugs I still have to terminate the cable as you will see, so in some ways it cost me more to do it without plugs. Just put a note on the paypal payment "one end no plugs".

howardc1951

Post by howardc1951 »

Thanks Richard will do. The last time I had some LS1 I did take the plugs off one end and after soldering the cores together and getting the sleeve to behave it's not something I particularly want to repeat!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

howardc1951 wrote:Thanks Richard will do. The last time I had some LS1 I did take the plugs off one end and after soldering the cores together and getting the sleeve to behave it's not something I particularly want to repeat!
You get used to it. The sleeving is like a pair of nylons (remember them ;) ) it runs and has a life of its own, you have to melt it at the ends with a soldering iron to get it to behave.