Industry Future

All general audio posts go here.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Industry Future

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
My customer is the tester for perceived value.
Exactly as it * should * be.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
terrybooth wrote:What we should be buying hifi for is perceived value. And that is where I see the battle.
I can only work on real value Terry.

I have my costs, I have my overheads - to which is added a fixed percentage for me, well not quite fixed it has a mild logarithmic curve biased to higher percentage up the range.

My customer is the tester for perceived value.
Little wonder your approach didn't sit well with the flat earth makers and dealers, let alone the US "high end" parasites. The notion that you'd actually even consider what it cost you, plus your margin must have been poison to them. Companies like Linn seem to have operated on the basis of just how much can we stick the suckers for with this "upgrade". Examples such as putting a screw through the body of a K9 (already a jumped up, overpriced AT95E variant), painting it sparkly red then tripling the price, spring to mind.

The whole thing reminded me of Nazi Germany or even 1984. Daring to even challenge the hierarchy was indeed "thought Crime". The analogy continues today in my mind, because although the regime may have collapsed, the same old war criminals who perpetuated it are all still around, albeit often disguised.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Andrew wrote: The whole thing reminded me of Nazi Germany or even 1984. Daring to even challenge the hierarchy was indeed "thought Crime". The analogy continues today in my mind, because although the regime may have collapsed, the same old war criminals who perpetuated it are all still around, albeit often disguised.
And infesting the forums. DSJR springs to mind.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Andrew wrote: The whole thing reminded me of Nazi Germany or even 1984. Daring to even challenge the hierarchy was indeed "thought Crime". The analogy continues today in my mind, because although the regime may have collapsed, the same old war criminals who perpetuated it are all still around, albeit often disguised.
Fortunately the doubleplus ungood is ignored here.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is there all the time Terry and the sad thing is when you see someone repeat it without realising they are just repeating bullshit gobble-de-gook. Forums are famous for it. It is as if some of the nonsense is set in stone or has become almost biblical in nature especially if it was originally preached by Roy Gandy, Ivor T or Julien V.

It is like we have an established folk law that you challenge at your peril.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Glad the industry is (all be it, slowley) recovering from the mad years......The guys mentioned in Docs previous post were it seems, nothing short of hifi gangsters.
Their legacy lives on somewhat - But is diminishing............ :clap: :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They have all three been given Queens awards for industry which proves they are gangsters.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you want to see the idiots and dinosaurs at work and fancy either a good laugh or a spluttering "I don't believe it" then forget PFM that is small beer, go to.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/

and / or

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

From the Naim forum, a thread about what have been greatest improvements that people have made to their systems: http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/bigge ... our-system
Without question, 552 from 252 was the "AHA" moment.

LP12 from P9 was close second followed by 500 from 250.2

I think it is very telling how Naim positions their products and allows for gradual upgrades- each step bringing in more of the music. Great company imho.
There's just the small matter of the £30,000 Naim have relieved him off in getting his 552 / 500. Great company in his humble opinion.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So is he a dealer trying to drum up business or is he for real!