Hifi Racks

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hifi Racks

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nigel wrote:Once I was in a Linn demonstration at a Hi-Fi show. They were doing an a b test for the new, at the time, Basik turntable. It was up against the top spec LP12. Anyways, from where I was sat at the back i couldn't see which turntable was playing. The Linn chap said anyone who preferred turntable number one put your hand up. Confident this sounded better, up goes my hand, only one other person in the room agreed with me. Yes, we had picked the Basik. Red faced with embarrassment, everyone sniggering at us, the Linn guy piled on the ridicule with some sarcastic comments. I obviously was a a complete philistine when it came to recognising quality hi-fi.
And that justifies what?

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

"If you had a method to remove your sense of smell or touch your hearing would suffer as well."

Someone I worked with once fell off a lorry he was loading stuff onto and landed on his head. As a result he lost his sense of smell but that resulted in him being unable to taste anything.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The senses adjust to new situations in time as I adjusted to 10 years of blind testing with hi-fi choice, so I have hands on experience with this and observing new people to it. Basically they made arses of themselves because they were put outside their comfort zone and started to panic.

Plus the post about the Linn dem cannot be used to justify anything especially not blind testing.

I explained my position and I don't care if people agree with me or not. The objective v subjective saga has ruined forums and it is not going to ruin this one. Blind testing is an objectivist argument and that argument is not going to be re-argued here. We are called Hi-Fi Subjectivist for a reason, so we make the presumption that people who want to be here believe in subjective assessment. So any further reference to blind testing will be removed.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Sovereign wrote:
Andrew wrote:I guess that's why hifi is subjective. I've had two Torlyte turntable stands and didn't think either was an advance on the Lack. If anything, they were just a bit light and airy, lacking the slight extra weight of the Lack. My experiences were on a suspended floor in a typical 1930s semi. Turntables have been from Townshend, Linn and Roksan.
Interesting, my Torlyte has always been on a concrete floor, I found that the Torlyte really defined the bass, I have so much bass at times I need to be careful, but then I do have 14 inch woofers
I really do think different rules apply for suspended wood and concrete floors respectively. Actually, suspended wood floors suck. Last time I had a concrete floor was a flat in York when I was 21. Best sounding room I've ever had by a country mile.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you have a suspended wood floor paving slabs over that end of the room solves it. A nice rug over the slabs and spikes on the speaker stands and problem gone.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

IF YER HIFI EQUIPMENT IS SO DEPENDANT ON PLACEMENT ...........I RECKON YOU COULD HAVE NAFF HIFI EQUIPMENT.....OR YOU NEED NEW PLACEMENT.... :whistle:
I put a whistle smilie cause I cant find a YAWN one...... :hand:

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Andrew wrote:
Sovereign wrote:
Andrew wrote:I guess that's why hifi is subjective. I've had two Torlyte turntable stands and didn't think either was an advance on the Lack. If anything, they were just a bit light and airy, lacking the slight extra weight of the Lack. My experiences were on a suspended floor in a typical 1930s semi. Turntables have been from Townshend, Linn and Roksan.
Interesting, my Torlyte has always been on a concrete floor, I found that the Torlyte really defined the bass, I have so much bass at times I need to be careful, but then I do have 14 inch woofers
I really do think different rules apply for suspended wood and concrete floors respectively. Actually, suspended wood floors suck. Last time I had a concrete floor was a flat in York when I was 21. Best sounding room I've ever had by a country mile.
Have just moved house, so have a new listening room with a concrete floor, definately a big improvement over suspended wooden floor :dance: . There is less "THUD" to the bass notes without diminishing their presence. Interestingly bass wallop had been a characteristic that I had found desirable in the past. Aaaah weel, how times change. Now the detail and timing sound more precise and lively particularly low down. Having a regular shaped room is probably helping too :lol: .
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I hate racks, it seems to be a British fad, why do you think you need them. They make everything hard to get at and sound worse.

Go look at pics of Theo's system how to do it and avoid racks.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I'm not sure it's a fad really, more a case of having to keep all your kit tidy, (and safe!), in rooms that are more often than not used and occupied by others. As for materials etc, apart from the turntable, I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference really as long as it's pretty rigid.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A couple of decent wall shelves makes a lot more sense. Or as Theo has - his records and CDs in cabinets and his gear on the top of those cabinets.