BEST SOUND - VINYL OR CD....?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
gus3049
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BEST SOUND - VINYL OR CD....?

Unread post by gus3049 »

I am just building a second TT and sat and listened and sat and listened and listened and sat and totally ignored my wife until the record had ended. She was offering me a cup of coffee too. Most of the day, I've been on the computer, sorting out my library and adding a few of the tracks that were featured on the Blues band thread today. There is just no comparison.

With the digits, I was aware of my surroundings and was certainly aware of the drinks coming my way. (I should add that Sunday is my day for sitting on me bum - the other six days are hers, of course)

With the vinyl, I was lost to the world.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

It's true Gus - Night n Day.

0100110001001001010101010011010100001000001000001111100100100011000001000010010111010000010100001

Cant possibly work.......... :whistle:

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

To try to introduce a tiny element of dissent, following gus comment about own recorded cds being better I wonder how much is the particular pressing. Some cd runs vinyl very close indeed in my system, but a lot of my cds are awful :confusions-scratchheadyellow:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Oldpinkman wrote:To try to introduce a tiny element of dissent, following gus comment about own recorded cds being better I wonder how much is the particular pressing. Some cd runs vinyl very close indeed in my system, but a lot of my cds are awful :confusions-scratchheadyellow:
Why try and introduce dissent? Not your style at all surely?

I agree that some CDs sound very good indeed and even the Mac makes nice noises. However, its that indefinable something that makes me get involved in the music that vinyl seems to have. I have recorded just about all my albums onto CD and then those CDs are also on the Mac. As background I am very happy to use the Mac or CD. For serious stuff I still turn to the TT as I can't do anything else at the same time.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

CD done right is better than vinyl, but there's so much more vinyl done right, and CD done wrong...

I find a lot of CD masters have a horrible digital signature (especially 'digitally remastered' stuff), but listen to Massive Attack - Mezzanine, for example, and the CD beats the vinyl version in my system...

jammy395

+ 1.
There is no substitute for a well pressed album.
But I find the newer stuff to lag behind early pressings....Remember the old Shellac 78's (Wallace help me out here) (ha).
Hard to come by and scratched to Fuk - But glorious..
Not to mention you need a TT that does the business.....QUITE SURPRISED THE 1210 AINT GOT 78 rpm .....

Any other 78 tts out there.............. :?:

jammy395

Yomanze wrote:CD done right is better than vinyl, but there's so much more vinyl done right, and CD done wrong...

I find a lot of CD masters have a horrible digital signature (especially 'digitally remastered' stuff), but listen to Massive Attack - Mezzanine, for example, and the CD beats the vinyl version in my system...
Yomanise you could be correct.....If im honest.
I have an A HA & SIMPLE MINDS compact discs 2 of the very first British releases on CD.....Stunning.....So wtf went wrong thereafter. :think: Production sublime....

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Yes - I have some cd's which are great sounding. The Mary Black, Katie Melua (all of them), Eric Clapton unplugged, Rodrigo y Gabriella, Peter Gabriel and others. Where I have comparables, even on the amazing DaCapo 22 bit I picked up this year, CD isn't quite doing it (oh - maybe - better bass, its bloody close on the best). But I was really shocked how poor some of my other CD's were. No real surprise on 2nd Hand Tattoo from Dave Migden, since that was a small studio low budget affair, but Jack Johnson live, Cher and others - really poor. Of course, I suppose I should be looking at streaming 24 bit - but only when significant catalogues for artists I want to listen to are available.
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

"Any other 78 tts out there.............. :?:"

I think Rega do one.

jammy395

Och it will be the old shite no doubt - Garrard - EMT- Thorens - Rek o Kut - Etc Etc Etc......Good TT's don't do 78'S. :shifty: ;)