Ripping, Storing, Playing CD collection - ideas...

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ripping, Storing, Playing CD collection - ideas...

Unread post by selby »

We've got about 500 CDs and would ideally like to rip them to digital storage and then playback via a device that comes with an iOS App.

I want to make sure the CDs are ripped at the highest quality and easy to play. I don't want a media centre PC or Mac with iTunes as this isn't the look we are going for in the living room. I've seen devices like Olive 6HD, but at £4,500 I wouldn't spend that even if I had it!

Has anyone got/seen a cheaper setup which doesn't include a PC at it's core?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Ripping, Storing, Playing CD collection - ideas...

Unread post by Shevans »

To rip CD's whatever device you use will have a computer inside (of some description) - sorry about that. To be honest if you use iTunes its very easy to use, there are other solutions. But why spend more money if you have a computer than can do the task.

If you have a PC or Mac already, you use it to rip your CD's. You can then either keep the muisc on your PC/Mac in a room other than your muisc room, or you can move the muisc to a NAS device, again keeping this out of earshot.

You then purchase a streamer such as a Sonos connect, this plugs into your amp or DAC and pulls the muisc wirelesly from your computer / NAS. The Sonos connect is small and silent. It can be cotrolled via iOS / Android or software on a computer / laptop.

Cost would be less than £500 if you bought a Sonos:connect and a NAS to store the music, you may also require a Sonos bridge if your router is not near your hi-fi but they are only £40

selby

Unread post by selby »

Shevens, I think I've just found that exact setup.

Sonos Connect and a NAS. I don't mind using my laptop to configure the NAS or for iTunes management but just don't want to have it on 24/7 to play, which the Sonus Connect will do perfectly. It's the missus who's desperate to get rid of the CD, so she can pay...I'd rather spend any money I manage to scrap together on debts or NVA kit!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

You may also want to buy a cheap external CD drive, I managed to knacker the drive in an iMac after about 200 CD's. I kept feeding the CD's in and should really have let it cool down.

I have foolishly spent money on several different streaming solutions and each time ended up back with Sonos.

Simply Sonos (simply sound and vision) offer a 30 day return facility if not happy, they even have a Western Digita 1TB NAS for £140 and with 500 CD's it will only be half full.

Just a case of making sure you get the Bridge if needed and the equipment is not at the extreme ends of the house, also use a different wireless channel on the Sonos from your normal wi-fi network and you should be happy :dance:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I use one of those IPod transports. Mines a Wadia 170 but there's an equally good Onkyo that goes for next to Nowt and is compatible with more iPods than the Wadia. Stick the signal through a DAC and it can be as good as CD, although it has varied depending on the DAC.

It's probably the least hassle of all, plus you can then take the IPod out and use it as normal. You might not get 500 CDs on Apple Lossless unless you pick up a 160gb IPod Classic. My 80gb one must have almost that amount though. Mine cost me £50 second hand and the Wadia was £150 although some go cheaper. My mate bought the Onkyo one off EBay for £50.

It's just another option, so I thought it worth a mention.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

I find iTunes pretty adequate although 'MAX' (free I think) does a better job of ripping the files, although the differences are subtle, depends how anal you want to be. If you could stand a MacMini, they are so small that you could hide them completely. If there is AV equipment, I assume you could hook the Mini up to the main screen when necessary. A laptop could be pretty well hidden most of the time.

My only problem with something like iTunes is that Apple keep new and improving it. I just have everything to my liking and find that the latest version is radically changed. I could go back to the previous version I know but find it easier to adapt than to reinstall everything. Just lazy probably.

I have no knowledge of any of the alternatives except the Brennan, which I though sounded very flat indeed.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I was a MAX fan for a while, but the lack of ongoing updates and that when the CD drive went faulty it made no mention that the rips were just white noise. I now use XLD, a bit complex but it check agains the AccurateRip database to check the integrity of the rip.

The number of times iTunes has updated and changed my settings and started reorganising my music makes me also want to stop using it, but it integrates so well with other Apple devices. I rip using XLD and then point iTunes at the rips. I also use an app called Bliss, to sort of the artwork, as iTunes method of adding artwork is incompatible with everyone else. :roll:

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Shevans wrote:I was a MAX fan for a while, but the lack of ongoing updates and that when the CD drive went faulty it made no mention that the rips were just white noise. I now use XLD, a bit complex but it check agains the AccurateRip database to check the integrity of the rip.

The number of times iTunes has updated and changed my settings and started reorganising my music makes me also want to stop using it, but it integrates so well with other Apple devices. I rip using XLD and then point iTunes at the rips. I also use an app called Bliss, to sort of the artwork, as iTunes method of adding artwork is incompatible with everyone else. :roll:
Just tried Bliss but don't like the fact that it works on-line so didn't really get it to do anything. Is this normal or just a trial version?? I don't see that iTunes doing things differently to everyone else matters if its all I use :? As the Mac downloads any artwork from the net as JPEGs, it seems easy enough to tag them to the files. Always found it very straightforward anyway.

I'll have a look at XLD later.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Just tried XLD and whilst I think I may have been able to hear a difference - a difference is not necessarily an improvement of course - I don't think it would prompt me to abandon the easy way with iTunes. I am just so used to it that it just seems natural to me. I've used it since it first came out.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Bliss comes with 100 fixes, once you have set the prefs it goes off and makes changes i.e. Reduce artwork dimension or file size. You can imbedd or remove imbeded artwork along with enforcing singular artwork. Bliss often looks like nothing is happening but it gets there in the end.

ITunes holds its artwork in a seperate folder/database, most other muisc players use either imbedded artwork or a folder.jpg or similar in each album. This can show as missing artwork when used outside iTunes.