Any good beer budget modern day speakers?

All general audio posts go here.
alfafan123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any good beer budget modern day speakers?

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Hi guys,

Despite my daughter spending all my ill gotten etc I am still dreaming of a second system for my computer room.

Royds and JPWs are clearly well liked and respected here but are sometimes not easy to find in good nick :cry: and as not all of us may be up for the Doc Mod open box surgery approach to modifying the golden oldies so are there any modern beer budget speakers (<£200/pair) out there that don't induce sleep and can't peel wall paper at two hundred yards and make good music and don't rely on advertising, promotion and iffy selling techniques to shift 'em? :think:

So they gorra be cheap and they gorra be musical ........so I guess any with chrome plated driver baskets need not apply :snooty:

Otherwise I will just continue to invest in :beer:

cheers!

Chris

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Any good beer budget modern day speakers?

Unread post by terrybooth »

Doubt it. I bought a pair of Tibo speakers from Richer Sounds (£20) to use in a computer system. They may be improved by Doc mods but they ain't up to much. I seriously think you would be better looking on the second hand market - second hand shops more than eBay probably.

There are bargains to be had out there, if you are willing to move off the beaten track (JPW, Royd here, LS3/5As elsewhere (!). Depending on where you are, I've seen KLH speakers going for the teens of pounds collection only on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KLH-317-Vinta ... 41936e8286. I have something a similar are but a different model (no port) in a second system.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Chris you want Ash's Royd Topaz......You wont get more Bang for yer buck. :guiness;

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... =7&t=46926

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

There are quite a few pairs of JPW mini monitors on ebay at the moment,some in good nick.They are a good size for sitting on a computer desk.You don't have to do anything to them at all. :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I Doc-modded some Mission 760's recently for my computer desk. Small and sound really great. Can be found for a song 2nd hand and the mods are easy & cheap. Check out the 'Nearfield Speakers' thread.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

How budget is budget ? Like under £30 ? I dont think theres an awful lot of good modern (as in past 10 years) budget stuff for that price.

A couple of "under the radar" budget wonders to keep an eye out for would be NAD 8020e (manufactured by KEF), any of the Pioneer Prologue series (they were manufactured by JM Lab in France.) I have a pair of Prologue 4's here sounding fantastic right now... sealed cabinets, 8" paper bass driver, 19mm soft dome tweeter & minimal wadding. They go silly cheap due to the brand name, mine were £10 8-)

Wharfedale 8.1's could be an interesting speaker to mod and are available very cheaply, they use kevlar woofers which I understand is what Doc uses in the Cube's.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

He as up to £200 .

I had pair of wharfedale 10.3 , they now in use with the docs mods in the family room fed by the TV . In my opinion they present a shut in sound unless modified thanks to the pcb x-over .

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Oops, I should have read the entire OP. I owned some Diamond 8.3's when they first came out but I don't really recall how they sounded, drank far too much back then, teetotal now though 8-)

Q Acoustics seem to be growing in popularity.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

8 could be better , 10s made in china . The kevlar driver though i consider to be good .

i will be teetotal when I am dead , must say it is another reason i am not looking forward to death :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

istari_knight wrote: they use kevlar woofers which I understand is what Doc uses in the Cube's.
I would never use just kevlar on its own, if I used one material alone it would be good quality wood pulp (paper) graded across the cone the way JBL used to. I use *doped* Kevlar, one hell of a big difference.