Hi fi in general

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Orc 201267
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi fi in general

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

Hifi in general the attitude
Im into motorbikes and as bikers we all get on together we do the biker nod when passing we meet we talk bikes as though we are best off mates for the last 40 years and only met 20 mins ago

So why oh why are hifi enthusiasts so up tight and sometimes very patronising
This not a personal go at anyone or aimed at anyone
Its just a observation thats all

I used to think it was snobbery but now dont and i cant put my finger on it
Wats your views then
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

Daniel Quinn

Re: Hi fi in general

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is it because all bikers are morons and only some hifi people are ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :guiness;

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

You can hurt yourself by falling off a bike,but only Dan can hurt himself with a HiFi... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Orc 201267 wrote:Hifi in general the attitude
Im into motorbikes and as bikers we all get on together we do the biker nod when passing we meet we talk bikes as though we are best off mates for the last 40 years and only met 20 mins ago

So why oh why are hifi enthusiasts so up tight and sometimes very patronising
This not a personal go at anyone or aimed at anyone
Its just a observation thats all

I used to think it was snobbery but now dont and i cant put my finger on it
Wats your views then
I suspect it's because HIFI performance is subjective, so the superior attitude reinforces the expense of the equipment. With a motorcycle, the performance or ride isn't subjective, it's directly measurable.

Or that could be complete nonsense :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is all about ego and status. In the bike world that doesn't seem to happen. In the world of hi-fi it is a major pollutant and like EVERYTHING bad in this hobby and industry it can be traced back to the Flat Earth and IvorT. He cultivated both his and his arse lickers guru status, and the disease spread to valves, BBC design, some forum owners, etc,etc.

Hi-Fi designers and reviewers were given superstar status in this pathetic small world of nerds we occupy, and they started to believe their own publicity, and then the likes of Marco, Jerry, Wanker want to become them. I like to think we here are like the bickers, but we take the piss out of the others when they try to big themselves.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I'm into my hi-fi, and I have a lovely Honda V4 750. I don't have a problem with either... except in Edinburgh. Perhaps it's my cross-dressing that upsets people?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I can honestly say I have never been patronising to any ones hifi set up. I have talked to many people good and bad from all over the world and I guess it the same with our hobby, there are good and bad. I will say 70-80% of hifi dealers have a chip on their shoulder and maybe that can be traced back to the Flat Earth days. I do wish this forum talked more about each others equipment and were possible improvements can be made.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

FFS it DOES!!!!

Just don't go on Elsewhere on the Web if you don't like it. The irritant is people snipping about it. It has been here since the beginning of the forum and will not go away as it serves a purpose, looking for reasons to snipe at it is the thing that serves no purpose.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Some people go to forums to learn, some go to shout at the world for one reason or other. I've been a member of forums throughout varying "genres" (art, 3d modeling, bass guitar, general music, hifi etc.) and I've only ever seen this level of vitriol on hifi forums. I wish I could explain why because I'm sure it drives some genuine enthusiasts away. Even the Mac vs PC wars are tame in comparison. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Have any of you read twitter.

It's simple. We are humans, we all think we are unique and brilliant and have a desire to vocalise it.