Hi-fi Junkie and the 'other system'

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Hi-fi Junkie and the 'other system'

Unread post by Fretless »

Well, we all know the feeling. Your pride and joy, the lovingly assembled music system is purring away and turning out nice sounds. Everything is working fine and there's no need to change anything.

Then comes that nasty itch to mess about, alter things, improve, upgrade... Aaaaarrrgh!

This is where the 'other system' comes in handy. Old components, giveaways, car-boot bargains. Set up in the office/garage/bedroom/cellar/somewhere/anywhere. Where you can chop & change, mess about, try things and scratch that addictive need to play with audio gear.

Which brings me to the Kenwood KA-4010 amp I have recently picked up. Saw it sitting on the rack in a secondhand shop and thought 'nice, but I don't need it' and went on my way. Then the wheels start turning in your head. I had a tiny music system in the bedroon - a CD player with a pair of self-powered computer speakers for background, bedtime noise. And started to consider if I could put a small 'proper' installation in there. Wondering if the amp was still up for grabs I went back to the shop - not only was it still there, it had a '20% off' sticker on it. Fate was calling and who was I to refuse?

So, setting a minimal system up and trying to use all the tips and trucks I have picked up. I have always thought that even relatively modest components - if carefully put together - can create a pleasing system. The Kenwood is quite a beefy, solid amp and I had good hopes. An NAD CD524 was attached with an old Audioquest interconnect. My Doc-modded (sealed and metal-lined) Audiolab Minax CD speakers hooked up with ultra-short, separated leads and off we go.

A problem that has occurred with Kenwood amps of this generation (came across some comments on the web) is that the input selector switch can get very crackly and untrustworthy. This amp had the same problem. Careful tweaking could get it fairly smooth, but a hissy, grainy tone was occasionally evident from the speakers.

The amp has a second selector knob, with options for 2 tape inputs and a 'source direct' setting that bypasses all tone controls, etc. There is even a second 'tone defeat' switch so someone was trying to get some sort of audiophile performance in the design stage. Wondering if the tape inputs would be any healthier, I tried them out. Not bad - but I couln't use the 'direct' setting now - having to switch to the necessary tape input.

At some point I did something wrong. Had the CD played plugged into a tape input but no sound came out - until I tried the 'Direct' setting then a remarkably pure and musical sound issued from the speakers. Looking at the back I saw that I had inadvertantly attached the player to the 'Rec' output sockets. This bypassed the dodgy input selector and gave me access to the direct-line function. Despite the relative modesty of the installation, the imaging and transparency is really good; I had those speakers in my main rig with NVA amps for a while so I know how they can sound when well-driven and here they were performing very well.

Another educational experience about the effect of switches and excessive circuitry in amps - and how to avoid them. So, the audio itch has been scratched (for now), and I'll bet that amp has never sounded better ! :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hi-fi Junkie and the 'other system'

Unread post by antonio66 »

I purchased a Kenwood KA 7020 ($180) to use with my Obelisks when I lived abroad. Superb amp, better than a Sansui whose no. I cannot remember but a highly regarded model. I guess Kenwood are only thought of as makers of food blenders in the uk. Shame

Fretless
Netherlands

Kenwood used to be called Trio - and that name was quite well-regarded in the 70's & 80's.
My first CD player was a Trio DP1100, huge, heavy and good SQ.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It was only called Trio in the UK. It was always Kenwood everywhere else. This was because the importer Harry Lasky saw the association with kitchen products and didn't like it so got them to re brand for him. When Laskys merged with G W Smith and Co (Radio) Ltd to form the big Laskys discount house and was run by the Smiths the brand was dropped. So the name changed when Kenwood opened European offices and did their own distribution.

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

My first amp was a Trio KA4002,i have still got it,thou it sounds like a coffee purcolator when running now.I took the top off recently and had it next to my AP10,also with the top off.I couldn't believe how much gubbins was inside it compared to the AP10.Just packed full of stuff. :o :o :think:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Fretless
Netherlands

Have swapped the Kenwood KA4010 in to replace the Sansui AU217 in my office setup. So it is now running from an RPi + MF M1DAC on MIT interconnects and driving modified Mission 760 speakers.

The Kenwood is a very different affair from the Sansui. More sharpness and detail, dryer and tighter, far better imaging, bags of power. Still using the Tape-REC socket as input (to bypass all the dodgy selector switches) and running on 'Direct' mode - This is a contender for a solid audiophile experience !!
The acid test will be to put it up against the NVA A40's with the Cubes. Sometime soon.

Time for a beer .. :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl