Squeezebox V3 (Classic)

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Squeezebox V3 (Classic)

Unread post by slinger »

I'm still faffing around deciding what I want in the Class D second system I'm putting together at what seems like the speed of a stoned sloth wearing snowshoes running backwards through treacle. Until about an hour ago the final brick in the wall was going to be a DAB tuner...then I saw a Squeezebox V3 on eBay. The price(s) would be slightly lower than a tuner, but not enough for that to be a factor. What I want to know (from someone who's used one preferably) is will the internet radio side of it be a suitable DAB tuner replacement, or even better it? I know about the streaming bit, and that could end up being a bit of a bonus, but it's internet radio I'm really interested in. What's the SQ like? How good are the apps? I've read that there are decent high bitrate stations out there, how do they sound? That sort of thing.

Thanks in anticipation.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Re: Squeezebox V3 (Classic)

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There are only 4internet radio stations worth listening to . Radio 4 , Radio 4x , Radio 5 and Talksport. They are all speech based and thus SQ is not that important ;)

trust this was of assistance

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Daniel Quinn wrote:There are only 4internet radio stations worth listening to . Radio 4 , Radio 4x , Radio 5 and Talksport. They are all speech based and thus SQ is not that important ;)

trust this was of assistance
About as much use as a chocolate fire-guard, but thanks anyway.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I like to balance my brilliant posts with the occasional inane ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :guiness;

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

A Pi running Moode OS will give you access to 195 (latest count) internet radio stations. SQ is superb.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

I've been using my Squeezebox Touch now for about 5 years, and I use it for both internet radio and Spotify Premium in equal measure. I found it simple to set up, and simple to use. I find that using the Squeeze Commander app on my phone is the best way to navigate between radio and Spotify. Soundwise it is superb, I have tried a few DACs with it over the years (Arcam and Beresford to name two) but found that none improved upon the SBT's own DAC, so much so that I've dispensed with a seperate DAC altogether.
I listen to a lot of Radio Paradise and use a 320kbps stream (courtesy of AOS 8-) ) and it is top drawer. I presume the Squeezebox V3 (Classic) will have the same sort of performance to the Touch. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Ah well, it's all moot now anyway. I just picked up the exact DAB tuner I wanted at the price I was prepared to pay. I might have to consider the streaming thing at a later (much later) date though.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I use a squeezebox touch. It's good but the supplied psu is ok but nothing special. You can lift the performance significantly by adding a Teddy pardo psu. The combo is rather nice. If I could afford the Naim NDS and psus I would probabaly still go for the squeeze plus Teddy. It was good enough to make me sell my NDX. The internet radio is very good. Radio 3 can be very enjoyable but not quite as good as top FM tuner. For the price a squeeze is a hifi bargain. Just a shame that the Doc never got around to building a psu for the squeeze.....

Slinger, if you are not a million miles away from the Dartford tunne then I could be persuaded to let you have a listen to the Teddy psu. PM me if you are interested.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Stemcor1990 wrote:I use a squeezebox touch. It's good but the supplied psu is ok but nothing special. You can lift the performance significantly by adding a Teddy pardo psu. The combo is rather nice. If I could afford the Naim NDS and psus I would probabaly still go for the squeeze plus Teddy. It was good enough to make me sell my NDX. The internet radio is very good. Radio 3 can be very enjoyable but not quite as good as top FM tuner. For the price a squeeze is a hifi bargain. Just a shame that the Doc never got around to building a psu for the squeeze.....

Slinger, if you are not a million miles away from the Dartford tunne then I could be persuaded to let you have a listen to the Teddy psu. PM me if you are interested.
Interesting about the PSU. I've considered the Mark Grant PSU as an upgrade option a few times but never gone through with it. Maybe in the future.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

A lot of years ago I had a SB here. In stock form it was very mundane, nothing to get excited about. Eventually got hooked up with a company called Bolder Cable, who did a ton of mods in the heyday of the SB. His work was very good. You could modify an Elpac power supply and get noticeable improvements, and I eventually tried his TOTL power supply and it was quite nice. The SB itself could be modified to improve the internals, with improved op amps as i recall, and simplifying some other circuitry. Also the digital out could be upgraded also. I used mine with the digital out mod and my DAC, and it was slightly better than the modified internal DAC circuitry. All in all a very nice package, the SB can be a very nice component if it is given some attention.