NVA Blog

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Re: NVA Blog

Unread post by DaveyTed »

I didn't expect a response that quick - thanks.
How far out from the back wall would you think likely? Is the "tweeter" very directional ?- I was wondering if low stands could help compensate for the low ceiling.
Thanks again

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Where 'normal' loudspeakers create their own soundfield within a space, Cubes treat the room boundaries as a mirror/lens that need to find the right focus point.

Start with the Cubes quite far back and away from each other. Move them incrementally towards each other until you have a unified sound field with no gap in the middle.
Pulling them gradually forward will adjust the bass response.
Then turn them gradually towards each other to sharpen up the imaging and detail.

Every space is different and it is quite a laborious process - and maybe some tweaking sessions later. But if the Cubes are positioned in that 'sweet spot' then they activate the entire room into a unique acoustic chamber.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
antonio66 (Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:18 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Great response Fretless, my Cube 3's are on 60cm stands, I sometimes get the feeling they would be even better on 70cm ones, something I will have to experiment with when I return to the uk. As for a lower height stand with the low ceiling I would not know, but maybe Savvypaul will give his opinion.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I know I don't have nva cubes (but as close as you can get) but I have had mine at various heights. I like mine low down but I can tilt the tweeters anywhere I like. So it probably mostly depends on where the tweeters are pointing and the height of your head when listening.

There may be more bass as the mid bass driver gets closer to the floor and floor / wall junction. The destructive cancellation from bouncing off the ceiling and floor may change.

Saying all this you might not even hear a difference (or care) unless your brain gives you a frequency response print out :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

antonio66 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:26 am Great response Fretless, my Cube 3's are on 60cm stands, I sometimes get the feeling they would be even better on 70cm ones, something I will have to experiment with when I return to the uk. As for a lower height stand with the low ceiling I would not know, but maybe Savvypaul will give his opinion.
I had Cube 3 on 70cm stands and putting 25cm breeze blocks underneath to raise them did improve their performance.

Then I switched to Cube 2 and those were fine at 70cm.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:32 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

karatestu
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:22 am
antonio66 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:26 am Great response Fretless, my Cube 3's are on 60cm stands, I sometimes get the feeling they would be even better on 70cm ones, something I will have to experiment with when I return to the uk. As for a lower height stand with the low ceiling I would not know, but maybe Savvypaul will give his opinion.
I had Cube 3 on 70cm stands and putting 25cm breeze blocks underneath to raise them did improve their performance.

Try them on some inner tubes with wooden board over the top :whistle:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 pm) • antonio66 (Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:33 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:00 am
Fretless wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:22 am

Try them on some inner tubes with wooden board over the top :whistle:
Stu, I do hope you realise that your £4 inner tube (£8 per pair) is going to put a serious crimp in Townshend's sales of their isolation platforms. They want over £500 a pair!
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:34 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

I have a lot of respect for the late Max Townshend but many of us are very unlikely to ever stump up that amount of money for such a product. This inner tube idea is as old as the hills and I can't take any credit apart from proving to myself that it works on floors like mine and maybe spurring a few people on to try it.

It is seriously good value for money when it improves things to the level I have witnessed. The ironic thing is the Townshend isolation products started life decades ago using air inflation rather than springs :lol:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:39 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

On Cubes... tweeter at ear height is how they are designed. That doesn't mean it's wrong to prefer to have them slightly lower or slightly higher, but you will hear a slightly different sound. In such circumstances, I try to ask myself whether that is a genuine personal preference or whether I am using it to mitigate something about the system that I don't like.

On supports... a very early Russ Andrews pamphlet suggested putting a part-inflated inner tube under a piece of wood, under a turntable. He did not suggest that it improved the sound, only that it made a difference to the sound. Andrews' prefers coupling - cones, lightweight and rigid platforms and speaker stands. I have been of the same mind with speakers and most turntables, but my Garrard (in heavy plinth) has been improved by putting rubber isolation feet (I found a secondhand set of isoacoustics pucks) under it rather than the large oak cones or metal spikes that I was previously using. I got a very slight improvement with the same t/t by trying sorbothane domes, but the isoacoustics pucks were a much bigger change). So, I'm open minded.

In both cases... experiment.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:38 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:09 am On supports... a very early Russ Andrews pamphlet suggested putting a part-inflated inner tube under a piece of wood, under a turntable. He did not suggest that it improved the sound, only that it made a difference to the sound. Andrews' prefers coupling - cones, lightweight and rigid platforms and speaker stands. I have been of the same mind with speakers and most turntables, but my Garrard (in heavy plinth) has been improved by putting rubber isolation feet (I found a secondhand set of isoacoustics pucks) under it rather than the large oak cones or metal spikes that I was previously using. I got a very slight improvement with the same t/t by trying sorbothane domes, but the isoacoustics pucks were a much bigger change). So, I'm open minded.

... experiment.
Paul, what you have said makes sense. Richard was, rightly, scathing in his criticism of the Linn Sondek. The concept of a suspended turntable isn't at fault though the problem is that almost every suspended turntable has very sloppy springs which means the whole thing bounces around to the detriment of the sound. One need only look at a microphone shock mount to see that a much stiffer suspension works. I am sure there are many other products where the concept is valid but the execution is completely wrong. The belt drive turntable springs to mind, the idea is sound but if the belt is too floppy or too rigid it doesn't do the sound any good, do any manufacturers get it right? I haven't a clue, but nobody has ever, to my knowledge, complained that tape recorders suffer in the way turntables, reportedly, do yet they use belts. I think the main reason so many good ideas fail is that it is difficult to persuade the potential customer that a fraction of a millimetre or movement is sufficient to decouple a turntable from its plinth, or the plinth from the floor. Customers expect to be able to see the effect and that means sloppy springs.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:38 am)