Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by CN211276 »

These extreme measures should have taken sooner. It seems things will get a lot worse before they get better.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

I'm not talking about Britain only, in whole Europe a lot of politicians have played or are still playing their selfish games in this crises instead of given instructions in time. Pandemic is not a game, it's something to be handled as strict as needed to protect as many lives as possible. I think after surviving this shit, Europe will be broken. Every country tries to keep it's needed medical resources, closes borders and the idea of European solidarity has died. This will leave traces. Thinking of the last words of Egon Schiele in 1918 (died in the last pandemic, the Spanish Flue): 'The war is over but I have to leave'.
And I don't want to leave!

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm Comparisons to the Bush admin and Nazi Germany. Give us a break. The Government have to exercise extreme measures to save lives. Simple. I'm all for human rights but in these circumstances human life takes priority over all else. Including your or anyone elses freedom to go to the pub cinema theatre or wherever else you feel it is important to go. All my immediate family including myself are in the high risk group and would be very lucky to survive COVID19.
How sure are you that the measures taken by the UK Government this week are 100% legal?

And what do you base your surety on?

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am How sure are you that the measures taken by the UK Government this week are 100% legal?

And what do you base your surety on?
Is this truly important under the circumstances? Even if it's 100% illegal I cannot imagine many people having an issue with it as most will understand it's needs must to keep people safe. Desperate times and all that, plus as has been said you can bet your life if any legality is required it will be forthcoming very quickly too.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

There is a bill going through parliament now, but there is also existing legislation (Emergency Powers Act 1964) that has some relevance.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

scotty38 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm I don’t always agree with DQ’s view of things but in this instance he is 100% bang on!
Well it must be nice to be right some of the time.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

slinger wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm Here's a link to the bill itself, it's over 320 pages long. https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... ments.html

I'm not going to go through it all for you :lol: but there is this towards the beginning...

EUROPEAN CONVENTION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Lord Bethell has made the following statement under section 19(1)(a) of the Human Rights Act 1998:
In my view the provisions of the Coronavirus Bill are compatible with the Convention rights.
Thanks for that.

Sections 48 to 52 of this document seem to be the relevant ones when it comes to restrictions on individual freedom.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... 801110.pdf

I can't see any sections where it states that the following restrictions are legal:

"Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible

One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
"

Can anyone else find any legislation that makes these restrictions legal?

For reference, here's the contents of Boris Johnson's address to the Nation from Monday evening:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52011928

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

In the week ending 7 Mar 2020 there were 35,000 reported Influenza Like Infections. Up to that point there had been a total of 2626 Covid19 infections confirmed. Around 17,000 people a year die of Flu, so far 400 have died of Covid19. Draw your own conclusions.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm In the week ending 7 Mar 2020 there were 35,000 reported Influenza Like Infections. Up to that point there had been a total of 2626 Covid19 infections confirmed. Around 17,000 people a year die of Flu, so far 400 have died of Covid19. Draw your own conclusions.
Let's see at the end of the year....

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I can quote stats as well. Geoff in the interests of h/s members I nominate you to catch the virus and see if you recover. In the interests of fairness I'll get flu.