I need a Bluetooth speaker

All general audio posts go here.
TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: I need a Bluetooth speaker

Unread post by TheMarlin »

antonio66 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:52 pm
TheMarlin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 pm I have a few different ones, but I do like these:
Soundcore Flare Mini Bluetooth Speaker ... HJNEG2D3B3

I run a pair in stereo. Works very well, and battery life is very decent.

Most Bluetooth speakers play audio back in. Mono, which I always find very annoying.
Having listened to some Soundcore speakers on YouTube, I get the feeling they are good value and good sounding, I did like the mini Flare, and also saw it paired with another one. I was unsure whether they gave true stereo or are both speakers just playing the same left and right together?
If you use a pair, it’s proper stereo. I use a pair in my office, mostly listening to Radio 6, and Mar Riley on catch-up. Sounds great.

It’s not Hifi, it in very happy with them, and battery life is pretty decent.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

It doesn't have to be hifi, just something to listen to which doesn't de-wax your ear holes, and the Flares came across that way, a nice relaxed listen. :grin:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

We have been listening to the Charge5 a bit this week. I even had it on whilst having a red hot soak in the bath for 45 minutes (just outside the open door so it didn't get blasted with steam). Does everything I could wish for in such a device.

The bass is on the fruity side which is fine by me and makes a change from all the weedy bluetooth speakers we have had in the past. Must be down to the two passive radiators, one on each end. I wouldn't usually entertain a speaker with a port or PR but in the case of such a small product with tiny drivers it is a welcome addition.

Clarity is good and the presentation is as detailed and non grating as you could wish for. I would recommend this product to anybody.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Pleased you're liking it.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun May 23, 2021 8:42 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 am Pleased you're liking it.
I love you Dave
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Seriously impressed with our little Charge5. Fook it, it's all I need along with a tablet and t'internet :dance:

#fakehifilover
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

I reckon a guy like you could modify it for better sound Stu. :grin:

I like the fact that you say "its all I need". I've gone from listening to my brother's hifi (£xxxxx) to one costing me £1100 and am perfectly happy, yet when you read some folk on forums, and the problems they have, I just wonder if it's all in the mind. Over the last few months, I've had plenty of free time, and posted quite a bit on forums, suggesting items that I think would suit, I don't like people to pay more than they should, and that goes for £100,000k+ systems to budget ones, but sometimes replies leave me despaired. I know Lindsay, continues to push for large bass driver speakers, as well as vfm ones, and he's probably right, but not everyone wants a 2' wide speaker in their lounge, but he to must despair when his suggestions are pooh-poohed.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:36 am I reckon a guy like you could modify it for better sound Stu. :grin:

I like the fact that you say "its all I need". I've gone from listening to my brother's hifi (£xxxxx) to one costing me £1100 and am perfectly happy, yet when you read some folk on forums, and the problems they have, I just wonder if it's all in the mind. Over the last few months, I've had plenty of free time, and posted quite a bit on forums, suggesting items that I think would suit, I don't like people to pay more than they should, and that goes for £100,000k+ systems to budget ones, but sometimes replies leave me despaired. I know Lindsay, continues to push for large bass driver speakers, as well as vfm ones, and he's probably right, but not everyone wants a 2' wide speaker in their lounge, but he to must despair when his suggestions are pooh-poohed.
I know your first line is in jest Dave and like other individuals I often modify things simply because they don't work for me as well as they could. I don't believe in spending many times the item's value however :lol: I don't feel the need to modify this though plus wouldn't know where to start.

My suggestions are always poo pooed so I don't bother anymore. That leaves the loud mouth know it alls to argue amongst themselves :roll:

"I just wonder if it's all in the mind." - I think you hit the nail on the head there. We are just a bunch of OCD fuelled weirdos who need to get a grip. Luckily I seemed to have woken up and seen the light. Rudi was right all along "it's all a load of cack boys"

Personally I am fed up with all the obsessing. I am enjoying the music through my little bluetooth speaker so much and it is so small and convenient that it makes my wonder why bother with the piles and piles of crap I have which I call a system. It's a system designed to dominate thoughts over and above the actual music. I have found I enjoy researching artist's and band's history now more than the latest and greatest new super dooper regulator that Perfect Farming Monthly say you are nobody without.

Keep up with the suggestions Dave, I enjoy watching the reaction (if you get any). I agree, LindsayT should be given an award for his value conscious work :clap:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:36 am I reckon a guy like you could modify it for better sound Stu. :grin:

but not everyone wants a 2' wide speaker in their lounge
If I had speakers that big in my living room there would be room for nowt else. Having built isobaric bass cabs with doped 12 inchers I know what I am missing with my bipolar 5 inchers but am past caring now as the current version is so wonderful for me. I seem to have pleased the room mode gods with my sacrifice at the alter of bass driver street cred. Having a small square room really is complete bums but Jo way am I entertaining the spirit of new devilry otherwise known as dsp or room correction.

Keep music alive :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I have gad the chance to compare the JBL Charge5 to a Naim Muso (1st generation) in the same room. Muso was £750 before it got updated to 2 status (with the obligatory price hike :roll: ). Charge 5 is £150.

In the same room and placed in the same position with volume matched by ear as much as possible the winner was .....................

the JBL :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked but the price difference :o The Naim really has been embarrassed imo, and not by a small amount. I can't be arsed to go in to a critique of both. Just have to take my word on it.

If this Muso is representative of the whole modern Naim range then we really should feel very sorry for anybody who has overpaid for the badge and so called pride of ownership. Hey look at me, you love me and my lifestyle. Look at my possessions and despair in envy. You won't get to hear it though. I will just post pictures of it in willy waving threads where you can all give it a like (to boost my ego)and then return to your miserable lesser existences and cry.

P.S It sounds like a Fisher price but that is irrelevant to the discussion
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CN211276 (Mon May 31, 2021 1:17 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE