The Football...

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

The Football...

Unread post by savvypaul »

Chelsea demanding that their FA Cup match at Middlesbrough be played behind closed doors because they are barred from selling away tickets due to the sanctions imposed on Roman Abromovich. Very poor attitude. Let Boro fill the whole stadium with their own fans and give the extra proceeds towards helping Ukrainian refugees. 🇺🇦
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
slinger (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:07 pm) • Theo (Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:06 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: The Football...

Unread post by slinger »

I agree 100%, Paul. Ticketing might be a problem, though. Boro might need to reduce ticket prices to fill the Riverside, which might lead to fans who'd already paid full-price getting the arse.

It's a 17:15 kickoff, on a Saturday, so maybe they could open the "away" end as a family enclosure of some sort. Parents pay for themselves and get a free child ticket. Something like that?
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I think it's a poor attitude of the British Government to seize / freeze the assets of private individuals just because they are Russian. Or have spent time with a certain person.

I'm failing to see what those individuals have done that's illegal.

I can see what I think is illegal and immoral and unethical behaviour by the UK authorities.

Seems like another case of coming up with an enemy and using that as an excuse to exert power over others.
I'm sick and tired of the Governement getting too big for its' boots.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
r3xj0hn570n (Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:20 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:07 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:59 pm I think it's a poor attitude of the British Government to seize / freeze the assets of private individuals just because they are Russian. Or have spent time with a certain person.

I can see what I think is illegal and immoral and unethical behaviour by the UK authorities.

Seems like another case of coming up with an enemy and using that as an excuse to exert power over others.
There seem to be 3 pillars of support for Putin; the military, the apparatchiks, and the oligarchs. I've got no problem with targeting their wealth and freedom if it puts pressure on Putin to stop murdering thousands of innocents. We should have done it straight after he used chemical weapons in Syria.

I think your post is strong on principal but severely lacking in context and proportion.
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The only way to get rid of Putin is pressure from within and the end justifies the means.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:38 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:59 pm I think it's a poor attitude of the British Government to seize / freeze the assets of private individuals just because they are Russian. Or have spent time with a certain person.

There seem to be 3 pillars of support for Putin; the military, the apparatchiks, and the oligarchs. I've got no problem with targeting their wealth and freedom if it puts pressure on Putin to stop murdering thousands of innocents. We should have done it straight after he used chemical weapons in Syria.

I think your post is strong on principal but severely lacking in context and proportion.
Principles are the mark of an ethical government.

The press narative is that we are the good guys and Putin is the bad guy.

Therefore our government should be working to higher ethical principles than the Russian government.
Otherwise we lose the high moral ground.

It's so easy for the UK Government and press to spin a story that pulls on emotions. These emotions will cloud judgement when it comes to what's legally, morally and ethically right.

I am fed up of government via pulling emotional strings. I'd much rather have government via logic, sound reasoning, with high moral and ethical principles.
I realise that I may be in a minority in this. So be it.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
r3xj0hn570n (Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:21 pm)

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

I'm not going to pretend to know what is going on, but it sure isn't what is being reported in MSM. It seems to me that the Ukraine isn't a unified country and "the west" is poking it's collective nose into what amounts to a civil war. But what do i know? Probably nothing.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:30 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:11 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:38 pm

Principles are the mark of an ethical government.

The press narative is that we are the good guys and Putin is the bad guy.

Therefore our government should be working to higher ethical principles than the Russian government.
Otherwise we lose the high moral ground.

It's so easy for the UK Government and press to spin a story that pulls on emotions. These emotions will cloud judgement when it comes to what's legally, morally and ethically right.

I am fed up of government via pulling emotional strings. I'd much rather have government via logic, sound reasoning, with high moral and ethical principles.
I realise that I may be in a minority in this. So be it.

Opposing murder is a strong ethical principal, but my calculation is not emotional. The West's ethical failing has been to let Putin get away with murder in Syria, Georgia and Chechnya, and turning a blind eye to the proceeds of crime being laundered through the City of London

Restricting the freedom of oligarchs will hurt them and they may then apply pressure on Putin. Oligarchs have been enriched by Putin's actions, in the past, and many, if not all, are (or have been) involved with organised crime. I don't see that they should automatically be protected from feeling the consequence of his actions, now. Pragmatically, they are (some of) the only people that can stop Putin's war, unless NATO engages in direct conflict.

What would be your choice of these options:

Declare war on Russia?
Impose sanctions on those who are known to have close ties with Putin?
Do nothing?

Or, do you think there are other options available? If so, what are they?
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CN211276 (Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:52 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

This is my take on the original post..Whilst we would all wish for an ethical government that is to my way of thinking, impossible.
I have more than a passing interest in current affairs and I am struggling to think of a government, especially of a large nation that's even close to being ethical. Politics attracts "wrong uns" politics is a dirty game where truth and decency are often in short supply.
As for Putin and his ilk, you don't beat murderous gangster's by playing fair and nice, it follows I am not concerned if we appear to be acting tough or even unlawfully against the oligarchs, they deserve all the shit that's heading their way.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
CN211276 (Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Abramovich is seen as Putin's "money man" according to the Panorama special I saw last night. It's worth 29 minutes of your time if you missed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014jm8/panorama-roman-abramovichs-dirty-money
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X