Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: LP12

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:31 am Somebody advised me on another forum to bin the spring replacements , buy loads of expensive linn parts and get it set up "properly" by a professional. This was after saying that I refused to spend anymore money on it :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think I have said before that, in my opinion, the fundamental principle on which the Linn design is based, is flawed. I accept that having the turntable in the same room as the speakers may affect the sound but I very much doubt that hanging it off what are essentially floppy springs is going to be helpful. I have a Thorens TD160 which as things in common with the Linn and in my opinion the springs in that allow more movement than is required. It doesn't however need constant set up and adjustment.

Given sensible placing, it is actually very difficult to produce feedback into a microphone except at high levels or with excessive gain. One doesn't have any control over the gain of a phono stage so I would be very surprised if it were possible to induce feedback to a turntable under normal domestic listening conditions. If the problem doesn't exist there is no need for a solution.

May I be permitted to suggest that the alignment of an inertial navigation system is considerably more critical than that of a Linn turntable. The inertial navigation doesn't go out of adjustment anything like as often as appears to be the case with an LP12, despite the considerably less benign environment in which it operates. Please tell me that the Linn isn't so badly designed that it won't stay aligned. I could apply the same criteria to a Single Lens Reflex camera where loss of critical alignment between mirror and focusing module renders the camera unusable.

As an aside, I assume that a Linn turntable is set up in a workshop then transported, by car possibly, to the listening room. Does it need further set up after being transported? I would suggest that one could argue that the LP12 is not fit for purpose.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:31 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Latteman wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:51 pm Just popped up
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 044795658/
That's too cheap surely ? Thought the Lingo alone was worth that much.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Latteman (Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:08 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:31 am Somebody advised me on another forum to bin the spring replacements , buy loads of expensive linn parts and get it set up "properly" by a professional. This was after saying that I refused to spend anymore money on it :roll: :roll: :roll:
What amazes me about the fruit box sheep, is that they refuse to even consider the possibility that parts that do not come out of the Glasgow factory, can possibly sound better when fitted to a fruit box ... but have been multi year subscribers to the Russ Andrews catalogue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:52 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:10 pm
I think I have said before that, in my opinion, the fundamental principle on which the Linn design is based, is flawed. I accept that having the turntable in the same room as the speakers may affect the sound but I very much doubt that hanging it off what are essentially floppy springs is going to be helpful. I have a Thorens TD160 which as things in common with the Linn and in my opinion the springs in that allow more movement than is required. It doesn't however need constant set up and adjustment.

Given sensible placing, it is actually very difficult to produce feedback into a microphone except at high levels or with excessive gain. One doesn't have any control over the gain of a phono stage so I would be very surprised if it were possible to induce feedback to a turntable under normal domestic listening conditions. If the problem doesn't exist there is no need for a solution.

May I be permitted to suggest that the alignment of an inertial navigation system is considerably more critical than that of a Linn turntable. The inertial navigation doesn't go out of adjustment anything like as often as appears to be the case with an LP12, despite the considerably less benign environment in which it operates. Please tell me that the Linn isn't so badly designed that it won't stay aligned. I could apply the same criteria to a Single Lens Reflex camera where loss of critical alignment between mirror and focusing module renders the camera unusable.

As an aside, I assume that a Linn turntable is set up in a workshop then transported, by car possibly, to the listening room. Does it need further set up after being transported? I would suggest that one could argue that the LP12 is not fit for purpose.
Design is flawed ? Check :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox:

The springs have to be floppy apparently so the resonant frequency is low enough ( about 5 Hz I believe). The spring replacements i have installed have very little movement. I could probably drop the deck and it would stay as is (arm would be trashed though).

Last time I had it serviced and set up with a new cart added was in 2006 and the dealer came to my house to do it. You do hear of transportation making it go off. Ridiculous isn't it. Ths springs :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: are fairly long and that doesn't help with stability. The rubber grommets at either end of the spring need adjusting and the arm cable must be clamped down to stop the whole thing wobbling side to side. I have dispensed with that.

Another thing - the bloody top plate is not flat, it us installed in such a way that it bows upwards. Thus the down facing bolts the springs hang on are not at 90 degrees so need bending :roll:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I'm gonna have to change my signature at the bottom of my posts. These LP12 experiments were certainly not inspired by the Doc. He would have told me to burn it :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:50 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:10 pm

Design is flawed ? Check :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox:

The springs have to be floppy apparently so the resonant frequency is low enough ( about 5 Hz I believe). The spring replacements i have installed have very little movement. I could probably drop the deck and it would stay as is (arm would be trashed though).

Last time I had it serviced and set up with a new cart added was in 2006 and the dealer came to my house to do it. You do hear of transportation making it go off. Ridiculous isn't it. Ths springs :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: :happy-smileyinthebox: are fairly long and that doesn't help with stability. The rubber grommets at either end of the spring need adjusting and the arm cable must be clamped down to stop the whole thing wobbling side to side. I have dispensed with that.

Another thing - the bloody top plate is not flat, it us installed in such a way that it bows upwards. Thus the down facing bolts the springs hang on are not at 90 degrees so need bending :roll:
I suppose that if you are designing a resonant circuit you have to specify a resonant frequency. The way you stop an assembly from “ringing” is to apply damping, I suppose the original springs are stuffed with open cell foam (better known as a spring)?

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:38 pm I suppose that if you are designing a resonant circuit you have to specify a resonant frequency. The way you stop an assembly from “ringing” is to apply damping, I suppose the original springs are stuffed with open cell foam (better known as a spring)?
There is no foam or any damping of any kind. Boing :happy-smileyinthebox:
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:23 pm I'm gonna have to change my signature at the bottom of my posts. These LP12 experiments were certainly not inspired by the Doc. He would have told me to burn it :lol:
I think he'd say that if you like it then that's all that matters. He'd certainly approve of doing away with the springs.

I read about a guy in Sweden selling 'magic mushrooms' to replace the LP12 springs, and they are being lapped up even by Linn fanboys. Maybe they are hallucinogenic, as well as being a more logical and effective engineering solution...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:18 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

I am sure Igor Sikorsky could have told Linn what would happen if they didn’t deal with the torque! The fruit box needs a tail rotor.