Attempting to solve hum on p80/s300

A place for DIY project discussions.
George Hincapie
Great Britain

Re: Attempting to solve hum on p80/s300

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Take it all apart, rebuild it on a clear bit of floor and see if issue persists.
These users thanked the author George Hincapie for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:36 pm)
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

Geoff_Burns
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff_Burns »

A long shot, but -

When I installed my phono stage (the NVA one), I had an annoying hum appear - I moved the phono stage 2m from the Preamp and the problem vanished.
These users thanked the author Geoff_Burns for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:36 pm)
__

Rega P3/Exact, NVA PA50/S80 (HF)/M160 monoblocks (LF)/AP10H Headphone Amp/P1 Phono (MM), Rega Apollo, Wharfdale Pacific Pi-120, Sennheiser HD660S.

Canon RP (lenses from 4 - 600mm) & EOS1100D, Minolta Dynax 3, Mamiya RB67, Chinon CA4.
Toyota HiLux (Vigo) Doublecab.
__

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

I had a similar fault after changing to a new phono stage which actually had an inbuilt linear power supply.
The new phono stage was picking up a hum from the SMPS of my CD player. Grounding the case of the CD player solved the problem.
Good Luck - hums can prove very frustrating and to me sometimes illogical.
These users thanked the author DaveyTed for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:37 pm)

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

Unread post by Ageagainstthemachine »

Thanks again for all the replies. I had another play earlier and found that it is a mixture of environment and noise on the mains.

I took the earth cable connected to the phono earth on the back of the pre and touched the rca cables that came from my cassette player (which was unplugged from the mains and pre) and the hum got quieter. I then touched the earth to a nut on my DIY hifi rack and it went even quieter. The nut is on a length of threaded bar but is otherwise isolated.

Then the fridge came on and a new fizzy sort of hum was introduced....

So I have some answers and some idea of what to try. I will report back in case anyone finds it useful in the future.
These users thanked the author Ageagainstthemachine for the post (total 5):
Fretless (Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 pm) • George Hincapie (Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:13 pm) • slinger (Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:44 pm) • DaveyTed (Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:04 pm) • Geoff_Burns (Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:14 pm)
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

To save starting another post can anyone advise on rca interconnect length? I'm thinking about separating most if my sources and my DAC has a high output so I'm thinking about a 5m cable... Would this be OK? I would also run longer lengths from the cassette player but I use a buffer with it so that should be OK. TT phono leads will stay the same but I will try and maximise separation between the amp, pre and TT
NVA S300 - P80 (TDK 2CP-2511 pot ELMA selector switch) Audiolab 6000CDT - Topping D30 DAC - Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue - P80 Phono Stage - Technics RS-BX646 Cassette Deck (with tube buffer to up the low output) - Speakers are either modified Monacor Katana Open Baffle or Kralk Audio MK2 BC30 with PAW stands - most cables are NVA - Various sound treatment

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I also have a Topping D30 in use and it is a very basic (but surprisingly good) little DAC that can generate unwanted 'noise' when idle. My recommendation would be to get a newer-generation Topping or similar (SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie etc.) unit that will improve your SQ and have a better build with regard to EMF / noise.

Also, a new Chi-fi DAC is probably cheaper than a 5m length of decent interconnect cable.

Check Hifi-express or Amazon for offers.

https://hifi-express.com/
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:15 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Ah the fun of EM field pickup. One of the useful things i've discovered over the years is the usefulness of an input shorting RCA plug. Make em up, fill up all your unused inputs with these things. Oh and solder a wire to one of them and use it as an earth wire to experiment with.

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Fretless wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:00 pm I also have a Topping D30 in use and it is a very basic (but surprisingly good) little DAC that can generate unwanted 'noise' when idle. My recommendation would be to get a newer-generation Topping or similar (SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie etc.) unit that will improve your SQ and have a better build with regard to EMF / noise.

Also, a new Chi-fi DAC is probably cheaper than a 5m length of decent interconnect cable.

I have a Topping P50 spare. It’s a linear power supply upgrade for the D30/D50.

It works, but has an intermittent fault, where it powers off and on. Probably just a loose wire inside.

If you’re skilled with a soldering iron, happy to send on. Could be an easy repair, and an nice upgrade for your DAC

I’ve got a few topping DACS, from the humble but brilliant little D30, to a D70 velvet (office system with powered Adam monitors, and two D90’s (different specs). Topping make great DACS
These users thanked the author TheMarlin for the post (total 2):
Ageagainstthemachine (Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:34 am) • slinger (Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:31 pm)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Ageagainstthemachine
Great Britain

TheMarlin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 am
Fretless wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:00 pm I also have a Topping D30 in use and it is a very basic (but surprisingly good) little DAC that can generate unwanted 'noise' when idle. My recommendation would be to get a newer-generation Topping or similar (SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie etc.) unit that will improve your SQ and have a better build with regard to EMF / noise.

It works, but has an intermittent fault, where it powers off and on. Probably just a loose wire inside.

If you’re skilled with a soldering iron, happy to send on. Could be an easy repair, and an nice upgrade for your DAC

I’ve got a few topping DACS, from the humble but brilliant little D30, to a D70 velvet (office system with powered Adam monitors, and two D90’s (different specs). Topping make great DACS
I'd be interested if no one else is ;)

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Ageagainstthemachine wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:36 am
TheMarlin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 am

I'd be interested if no one else is ;)
If @Ageagainstthemachine doesn’t want it, you’re next in line.
These users thanked the author TheMarlin for the post:
Ageagainstthemachine (Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 pm)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables