Thinking about taking the step

All things NVA
Caveman1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Thinking about taking the step

Unread post by Caveman1 »

I'm thinking about taking the step into NVA world,my amp im ive had for many years is a Albarry PP1 and love it but im very intrigued by NVA amps. So im not sure where to start,do i go for a pair of nva a40 mk2 mono's or nva a30 mk2 with nva p90 pre/p50pre or go for the ap20 integrated and will there be much difference between them and my Albarry? Thanks for your help in advance.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Thinking about taking the step

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's my opinion that you have a damned good amp as it is, so in this particular case and as long as the Albarry is working properly, I honestly think NVA would be a change, rather than a definite improvement, as it can be with so many other amps out there. There's the excellent loan scheme now though, so you can try any of the combinations for yourself and make your own decisions.

All the preamps are basically the same, but the P50 and P90 can have stepped attenuators fitted (no room in the P20). Save money on the P90 unless you need all the inputs and outputs and maybe get a bigger power amp instead - possibly.. SSC interconnects and LS5 as a minimum could be tried first on your existing amp as I personally noticed a beneficial improvement on non-NVA gear, the LS5 speaker cables especially.

I'm letting personal prejudice and brand-fondness get in here, I'm sorry... I love and deeply respect Albarry amps and have for many years. Only the hyper-inflated UK prices do them down these days - and these prices weren't Neil's idea I understand. NVA do sort-of similar things, but at vastly lower prices..

Good luck with the journey. I think you'll find it huge fun :grin: :guiness;
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You take no risk, start where you like and trade up with no loss, send back for no loss if you don't like. It couldn't be easier or less risky.

I had a pair of original Abarry mono blocks here and musically into easy load an AP20 saw them off easily, so I haven't a clue what DSJR is talking about. It is probably because his mate hi-fi dave is selling them now in his shop.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I knew them nearly thirty years ago and as I said above, the OP should try for himself. Would be great if he drew the same conclusion as you. Albarry is so overpriced in the UK and lacks the cachet of the Absolute Sounds portfolio, I doubt much if any is sold in the UK now. The pre and smaller mono's are the thick end of five grand, so no competition to NVA really :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Albarry its Gaelic for Rip-Off.

Not a lot of people know that.......... :whistle:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Caveman, as you're in Kent you'd be more than welcome to listen to my humble wee set-up. It would give you a flavour of what a Pink Triangle sounds like too.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Zebbo nothing humble about your set-up bet is sound just fine
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Caveman1
Great Britain

Unread post by Caveman1 »

zebbo wrote:Caveman, as you're in Kent you'd be more than welcome to listen to my humble wee set-up. It would give you a flavour of what a Pink Triangle sounds like too.
Thank you that's very kind,i have sent you a Pm.